Hello from a new TL150 owner

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

superdave58

I recently purchased a 2007 TL150. Seems to have an issue with cold starting. With a fully charged 750 CCA battery it cranks the engine well but doesn't start. Seller said he put this in battery and said it doesn't have enough CCA and it needs a boost when cold. After checking the battery water level and giving it a good trickle charge overnight, having 13+volts, it didn't start the machine. I then checked the fuel delivery and was able to verify good flow out of the lift pump going to the main fuel filter. I did end up putting a booster on it and eventually it started once I moved the throttle position 1/2 way open. Maybe I needed to do this because of all the failed attempts and it was loaded up with fuel, I don't know. Once I let it run for a bit and shut it down, it started no problem at zero throttle position several times.

Mainly putting it out there to see if anyone knows how many CCA battery is required and if that could truly be the problem for not wanting to start when cold. (and by cold start I mean engine cold 50 degrees outside temperature) Thank you in advance.

cdmccul

Here's a 2x4, welcome a board!

You say you thought perhaps it struggled because it was loaded up... After getting it to start, did you then let it cool back down and retry starting at 1/2 throttle?

(you might put the question in the main forum, you may find you get more traction there)

OP
OP
S

superdave58

Haven't tried to start it again, just got it going this morning. I will do the test on throttle position when starting and see if makes a difference.
I don't believe these have glow plugs but I don't know for sure. Just ordered a service manual for it. It has a 4cyc Yanmar diesel.
Thanks for the responses.

OP
OP
S

superdave58

Thank you everyone. I was successful in having it start cold as long as the throttle position was at least 1/2 way open. Wondering if that's an indicator of any kind.

brdgbldr

Thank you everyone. I was successful in having it start cold as long as the throttle position was at least 1/2 way open. Wondering if that's an indicator of any kind.
I am not familiar with your machine. All of the machines that I have worked on though, the manual says to start it with the throttle at 1/2 open.