Hauling 236b Cat Help.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

yknot111

Where's the best site to go for info on hauling a skid loader. I need to know the laws on chaining down my machine just so I am legal in transporting it. I am in Texas Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
To get the *rite* answers yo should call your local DOT (department of transport) to get the info specific to your area. Different states will have different rules no doubt.

LIMaint

To get the *rite* answers yo should call your local DOT (department of transport) to get the info specific to your area. Different states will have different rules no doubt.
Give your state DOT a call.... And 1) Chain it down at 4 points so it dont move. 2) Put its brake on. 3) Make sure the weight of the machine with attachments and trailer weight, does not excede the Trailers GVWR. 4) Make sure the total trailer weight plus vehicle weight does not put you over the total comined limit. * Being over weight is VERY expensive in New York, I'm sure its the same in Texas. I had an F550 with a Gvwr of 19000lbs and thought I was OK but my friend who is a Highway cop pointed out. 1- F550 Gvwr of 19000. 2- Truck with dump body weight almost 10000lbs 3- Dump trailer weights almost 4000lbs 4- Cat 236b with combo bucket is 8000+lbs 5- any extra attachments,equipment,fuel,crew,etc... I said well I have, a combination vehicle (Truck/Trailer) so I should have a higher Gvwr since I'm towing. He told me thats not what DOT wants to hear, since that would require me to have a class A drivers license (Truckers License). It just seems like we cant win...

siduramaxde

Give your state DOT a call.... And 1) Chain it down at 4 points so it dont move. 2) Put its brake on. 3) Make sure the weight of the machine with attachments and trailer weight, does not excede the Trailers GVWR. 4) Make sure the total trailer weight plus vehicle weight does not put you over the total comined limit. * Being over weight is VERY expensive in New York, I'm sure its the same in Texas. I had an F550 with a Gvwr of 19000lbs and thought I was OK but my friend who is a Highway cop pointed out. 1- F550 Gvwr of 19000. 2- Truck with dump body weight almost 10000lbs 3- Dump trailer weights almost 4000lbs 4- Cat 236b with combo bucket is 8000+lbs 5- any extra attachments,equipment,fuel,crew,etc... I said well I have, a combination vehicle (Truck/Trailer) so I should have a higher Gvwr since I'm towing. He told me thats not what DOT wants to hear, since that would require me to have a class A drivers license (Truckers License). It just seems like we cant win...
I just bought a F450 dump truck and it has a GCWR(gross combination weight ratio) of 30,000 #'s. The truck weighs in at 11,090 pounds empty so that leaves me with almost 19,000#'s of towing ability.

Also you might have to get a DOT number. In Illinois the DOT police never bother anyone too much. But, it only takes once to get a big fine.

Latest posts