Hard clay- tooth bar the answer?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Impact-vector

I have an issue where I can't seem to cut into the hard clay ground. MY blade either digs in and the wheels spin or the blade does get in very far. My thoughts initially are a tooth bar to give the force a distribution to a smaller area and thus breaking up the surface friction. Anyone have any advice? Is my thinking wrong? Thanks

TriHonu

Yes a tooth bar will help. The teeth will concentrate the force on a smaller area and will help fracture the soil between the teeth.
Other options are a scarifier/ripper attachment. You can get these as a stand alone attachment like the Bobcat Scarifier or as an option on a Landplane or built into a bucket like this one from Wisconsin Metal Fab.
Where I'm at there is a high quantity of clay. I have both a tooth bucket and a hydraulic scarifier on my Landplane.
Adding weld on teeth to your bucket would be the cheapest solution, followed by a tooth bar.

jerry

A tooth bar is a great thing in the clay, I have a bobcat brand one and have really used it hard at times with no problems so far. I like the idea that it can be put on or off in about 10 minutes.

OP
OP
I

Impact-vector

Thanks guys! I made 2 devices. 1 is a tooth bar. I'm just waiting for some steel to arrive tomorrow. I got 6teeth and shanks for $100 from a local tractor supply place. The second is a series of shanks that are designed for a plow. I intend to weld some attachment pieces to my land plane and then install the plow shanks. I'll keep you guys posted if you wish! And thanks for the help!