handheld breaker on front hydraulics?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

shepherd

Just picked up a Stanley 35 lb hand held hydraulic breaker, hoping to run it off of the front aux hydraulics on my Bobcat 773. How do I go about turning on the front for continuous flow? The female coupling is out when using the trigger correct? It should be nice with one guy running the breaker, and another shoveling the chunks right into the bucket. I'm working on a "holster" for it, on the side of the bucket, so I don't have to disconnect it to dump or move the machine.

SkidRoe

On our 773, you simply push the aux. hydraulic button twice to get continous flow.
Cheers,
SR

TriHonu

On our 773, you simply push the aux. hydraulic button twice to get continous flow.
Cheers,
SR
On my 763 you have to press the Auxiliary Hydraulics button 2 times (both LED's will light) and then you press and release the RIGHT TRIGGER SWITCH. To turn off, press and release the Right Trigger Switch.
I also have a Stanley Handheld Breaker. A couple things you should know:
a. As you are asking, you must insure the flow is in the correct direction according to the ports on the hammer. If you reverse the flow you will blow the seals and potentially destroy the hammer.
b. These hammers require much less flow than your machine can deliver. Start out with the Bobcat's engine at an idle and engage the Auxiliary Hydraulics. Get the Hammer against concrete and engage the hammer. Slowly increase the engine RPM until the hammer is operating normally. If you have the engine RPM too high you will be pumping more oil through the hammer than what it wants and it will not hammer at all or very weakly. As the Stanley Technical Support told me you will "Drown" the hammer. It should not damage it, just reduce the engine RPM so you are not flowing too much oil through the Auxiliary circuit. My BR87 only need 7-9 gpm.
c. Technical Support also warned me to make sure the hydraulic oil temp does not exceed 140 deg F. You can damage the hammer (and it won't be comfortable to hold...).
d. If you are working on a vertical surface, you can hang the hammer from a rope or chain from your bucket or forks. It you tie a rope or cinch a nylon sling around the middle of the breaker you can get it to balance hanging horizontally and it is much easier to use.

OP
OP
S

shepherd

On my 763 you have to press the Auxiliary Hydraulics button 2 times (both LED's will light) and then you press and release the RIGHT TRIGGER SWITCH. To turn off, press and release the Right Trigger Switch.
a. As you are asking, you must insure the flow is in the correct direction according to the ports on the hammer. If you reverse the flow you will blow the seals and potentially destroy the hammer.
b. These hammers require much less flow than your machine can deliver. Start out with the Bobcat's engine at an idle and engage the Auxiliary Hydraulics. Get the Hammer against concrete and engage the hammer. Slowly increase the engine RPM until the hammer is operating normally. If you have the engine RPM too high you will be pumping more oil through the hammer than what it wants and it will not hammer at all or very weakly. As the Stanley Technical Support told me you will "Drown" the hammer. It should not damage it, just reduce the engine RPM so you are not flowing too much oil through the Auxiliary circuit. My BR87 only need 7-9 gpm.
c. Technical Support also warned me to make sure the hydraulic oil temp does not exceed 140 deg F. You can damage the hammer (and it won't be comfortable to hold...).
d. If you are working on a vertical surface, you can hang the hammer from a rope or chain from your bucket or forks. It you tie a rope or cinch a nylon sling around the middle of the breaker you can get it to balance hanging horizontally and it is much easier to use.
TriHonu, thank you. That post saved me a ton of hassle, and potential damage. I can't wait to get this all plumbed together. SD

TriHonu

TriHonu, thank you. That post saved me a ton of hassle, and potential damage. I can't wait to get this all plumbed together. SD
Glad to help.
When I wanted to try this setup, I phoned Stanley Hydraulics and told Tech Support what I wanted to do and they addressed my concerns and explained the issues that will cause damage or will keep the hammer from working.
There are user manuals available for these tools.
The manual will also spec hose sizes, (for my BR87 it is 1/2" hose for up to 50 feet, or 5/8" hose for up to 100 feet).
I have 18 inch hoses attached to the breaker with common farm hydraulic couplers on the ends. I then attach a pair of 16 foot hoses with the matching farm couplers on one end and the flat face couplers on the other end. (The common farm couplers are less than one third of the cost of the flat face couplers.) I did not want the extension hoses permanently attached to the breaker, for storage and portability reasons.
The other thing you need to be aware of is these hydraulic hammers have a nitrogen charged accumulator in them. Over time the nitrogen charge can/will leak out and the breaker will not hammer with much force. Any good hydraulic shop should be able to recharge the accumulator. On my BR87 the nitrogen pressure in the accumulator is 800 psi. The manual for your hammer will spec the recharge pressure.

rfalk

Hi, I am a newbie here (great forum BTW!) and have a similar question. I own a 753g (year 2000) and I am hoping to run a hydraulic concrete saw from the auxiliary hydraulics. The saws operating flow rate is 9-11 gpm and has a maximum operating pressure of 2000 psi. A couple of questions: 1) Is it safe to run this saw without a flow control system? I assume I would run the Bobcat at idle and slowly increase rpms to the point where the saw runs properly (similar to running the concrete breaker described above). 2) How do I determine the correct flow direction out of the Bobcat? Is the male coupler the outflow or inflow? 3) Is the procedure for setting continuous flow the same as for the 763 described above? If not, how do I set it on the 753 Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers, bob

SkidRoe

Hi, I am a newbie here (great forum BTW!) and have a similar question. I own a 753g (year 2000) and I am hoping to run a hydraulic concrete saw from the auxiliary hydraulics. The saws operating flow rate is 9-11 gpm and has a maximum operating pressure of 2000 psi. A couple of questions: 1) Is it safe to run this saw without a flow control system? I assume I would run the Bobcat at idle and slowly increase rpms to the point where the saw runs properly (similar to running the concrete breaker described above). 2) How do I determine the correct flow direction out of the Bobcat? Is the male coupler the outflow or inflow? 3) Is the procedure for setting continuous flow the same as for the 763 described above? If not, how do I set it on the 753 Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers, bob
The out flow is the on the female coupler. Your machine has a rated flow of 14.3 gpm max, so you should be fine running it at no more than about half throttle. HTH.

rfalk

The out flow is the on the female coupler. Your machine has a rated flow of 14.3 gpm max, so you should be fine running it at no more than about half throttle. HTH.
SkidRoe, thanks for the quick reply and encouraging answers. Do I need to run the Bobcat with continuous flow and how do I do that? Thanks, bob

SkidRoe

SkidRoe, thanks for the quick reply and encouraging answers. Do I need to run the Bobcat with continuous flow and how do I do that? Thanks, bob
On our 773, you push the aux. hydraulic engagement button twice to lock it in continous flow.

kathi

hello trihonu This is my first post in this forum. Please hep me with some information regarding handheld hydraulic breakers like stanley BR series. I have read every operating/specification manual available for stanley, CP, HYCON & JCB handhed breakers. But still there is no information in internet to make direct one to one comparision between pneumatic handheld breakers and hydraulic handheld breakers. They say that hydraulic handheld breakers outperform pneumatic breakers, let me know how stanley br series breakers perform in comparision with 90b class pneumatic breakers in various aspects like impact energy, operator comfort levels etc.