Glow plugs on a 743

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skippyman

Hi all,
With the colder weather here, I've been checking glow plugs on my 743. manual says they should measure 1.4 ohms. So far, testing has show 3 at 1.0 ohms and one at infinity. I havn't gottent them all out as I will test their glow with 12 volts applied to get a second opinion. I don't hold out much hope for the one measuing infinity ohms though. Should the ones at 1.0 ohms be OK do you think?
Question: how do I get the fuel lines off to get at the glow plug that is behind them. Will fuel leak everywhere when I remove them? Can I take the 2 center ones off or do I have to start at one end?
Thanks in advance.
skipperu

skidsteer.ca

The ne at infinity is has a burnt out element therefore the "open" circuit reading. The others are likely fine unless you feel like changing the whole set.
Man US auto parts stores can get these.
ken

skidsteer.ca

The one at infinity is has a burnt out element therefore the "open" circuit reading. The others are likely fine unless you feel like changing the whole set.
Man US auto parts stores can get these.
ken

OP
OP
S

skippyman

One more thing. Do I need a special wrencch to get the fuel lines off in front of the one glow plug?

Tazza

Staff member
One more thing. Do I need a special wrencch to get the fuel lines off in front of the one glow plug?
As ken said, open circuit = dead.
Ignore the restince values as the way they are measured will be different depending on if its measured with AC or DC, too complicated to explain. Even if they read as being ok that doesn't mean they are glowing correctly. It would be a good idea if one is dead to replace the lot. They aren't too expensive.
Now for removing the injector tubes. Just a standard i think 17 or 19mm spanner will do the job and no fuel will not flow out everywhere. If you are worried turn the valve off at the base of the fuel tank if you don't have one get a pair of vice grips and clamp the fuel line between the filter and engine.
Removing the nuts is a bit of a pain without a flare nut spanner but a regular one will work, you will just need to remove 2 lines to gain access. They will leak a bit but don't worry just keep the delivery valves on the top of the pump clean. Its sometimes easier to un-do the nut and remove the clamps on the tubes and loosen the top of the injector to get the tube out of the way. If possible put a spanner at the base of the delivery valve (the bit the injector tube connects to) to try and prevent it un-doing. Mostly it will stay put but some times it will un-do.
If you have any issues just yell, i have done this a few times!.
Get a 1/4" drive 12mm deep socket to remove the plugs. You may even have to un-do the inlet manifold to get the socket over the plug but only do that if needed.
Good luck!

Latest posts