Girl vs Service centre help required

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Itsmybobkitty

Hello
I own a 2001 753.
The lap bar was giving me issues intermittently. I'd lift it and drop it, push the button to release the interlock system and it would work again for a while.
I took it for service.

I've not got a huge amount of knowledge but I'm also not stupid. But I am also a pretty, blonde big busted girl. And I'm never completely sure if I'm getting the old "sorry miss we need to top up your headlight fluid" treatment.

The service centre first told me I needed a new tilting spool. That the lap bar switch had failed. I gave the go ahead to fix.

I was told Bobkitty would be ready for pick up Friday or Monday.
Monday I get a call saying that actually the problem is the module is actually fried. None of the gauges work.
I pushed back slightly saying I wasn't sure how that could be. They said that someone had bypassed the interlocks by grinding the pin on the tiltspools. Now that they put in a new interlock pin, they see the module is not working. My gauges are all dead. The gauges will not work without a module so I need one.
Again I'm like "I need more info" so I drive there. The service manager now said my wiring harness is causing a short that killed my module. It has wear and clearly is old but nothing is exposed.
And I make him show me. My gauges still are working. So he blames the deal girl to say she just is new.
He waffles on whether my module is dead and says maybe they can get it all to work without a new module.
Again I'm like, but then what's the module do.
He replied "everything, it's the brain"
So I ask how they can make it all work and why my gauges work if they said they don't and won't it module is dead.

Please help!
Thanks
Sammy

brdgbldr

Yeah, that sounds a little sketchy. The problem is there are some bad mechanics around and they may not know what they are talking about. They may think they do or they are just giving you an educated guess. I've had mechanics that are straight up front about this and tell me they will just have to keep replacing parts until the problem is solved.
"You know what they call the student that graduates last in their class at medical school?
DOCTOR"

The problem is they are supposed to be the experts and unless you can take your machine to someone else to get another opinion you're kinda screwed.

They should be able to hook up a diagnostic computer to your control module and tell you if it is good or not.

A short in the wiring can be invisible. If you take an insulated wire and bend it back an forth, over and over, the wire inside will break but the insulation will look fine. These shorts can be intermittent and very hard to find.

If you do have them replacing parts, make sure to tell them that you want to KEEP ALL OF THE OLD PARTS that are replaced. You can possibly take these elsewhere and have them checked. Don't let them tell you they can't. Those are your parts and you own them. If they can't give you the old part who is to say they actually replaced it? This is a trick that I have learned over the years for any mechanical work that I have done by someone else. A lot of the time the problems magically disappear when you ask for the old parts.

Good luck

mrbb

I agree sounds a little fishy to me too, lots of scammers out there, one thing you can possibly do, is list where your at and maybe someone here can recommend a shop or mobile service repair, for future issues/repairs(or try asking some other local contractors who they use) or to avoid using)
as there are normally good shops and BAD shops, and most in the trades tend to know both and can help steer you to or away ?

another thing you can do, is, if your willing to vest the time and effort it
contact Bobcat directly, and ask them for thoughts and or help
they have reps that travel and never know might be able to get one to swing by the dealer your using and see the work your having done.
as they say, never hurts to ask, might not get you any where, but then again MIGHT!
and I agree, ask for all parts changed to be saved and given to you, if for nothing else, you can double check prices on them, and see if there over charging for them or not, as if so, that is a red flag there in it self!

North Idaho Wolfman

Sammy,
I don't want to sound sexist or offensive, but sadly there are plenty of those types out there.
If you feel like your getting the run around because of your gender or attributes, try and find a guy friend ( the bigger, rougher, and older the better ) and have him go with you, either a father figure if your young, or a gruff boyfriend type if your older.
They really don't even have to know squat about mechanical or even the bobcat.
I've done it for several friends of mine and it's amazing how all of the sudden your huge issue becomes "oh well yea it's really an easy fix" situation.

jayincanada

Sammy,
I don't want to sound sexist or offensive, but sadly there are plenty of those types out there.
If you feel like your getting the run around because of your gender or attributes, try and find a guy friend ( the bigger, rougher, and older the better ) and have him go with you, either a father figure if your young, or a gruff boyfriend type if your older.
They really don't even have to know squat about mechanical or even the bobcat.
I've done it for several friends of mine and it's amazing how all of the sudden your huge issue becomes "oh well yea it's really an easy fix" situation.

Hello
I own a 2001 753.
The lap bar was giving me issues intermittently. I'd lift it and drop it, push the button to release the interlock system and it would work again for a while.
I took it for service.

I've not got a huge amount of knowledge but I'm also not stupid. But I am also a pretty, blonde big busted girl. And I'm never completely sure if I'm getting the old "sorry miss we need to top up your headlight fluid" treatment.

The service centre first told me I needed a new tilting spool. That the lap bar switch had failed. I gave the go ahead to fix.

Monday I get a call saying that actually the problem is the module is actually fried. None of the gauges work.
I pushed back slightly saying I wasn't sure how that could be. They said that someone had bypassed the interlocks by grinding the pin on the tiltspools. Now that they put in a new interlock pin, they see the module is not working. My gauges are all dead. The gauges will not work without a module so I need one.
Again I'm like "I need more info" so I drive there. The service manager now said my wiring harness is causing a short that killed my module. It has wear and clearly is old but nothing is exposed.
And I make him show me. My gauges still are working. So he blames the deal girl to say she just is new.
He waffles on whether my module is dead and says maybe they can get it all to work without a new module.
So I ask how they can make it all work and why my gauges work if they said they don't and won't it module is dead.

Please help!
Thanks
Sammy

Word of mouth is the best way to find a good tradesman, equipment repairs is no exception.

Solder may have came loose on the module, you can take that stuff to a good electronics repair place, preferably somewhere that does automotive or similar, and they can check the board for you. It may have intermittent issues for that reason.

It may be why it works, then doesn't, electronic shit used in automotive/equipment is very much like that. Most mechanics are limited in scope with electronics. If it's an internal broken wire in the loom, the plastic sheeting will always exhibit signs of damage. Tedious inspection will always show that.

jayincanada

Hello
I own a 2001 753.
I took it for service.

Please help!
Thanks
Sammy
And I wouldn't suspect what goods you came with has anything to do with being taken advantage of. Most guys are clueless in the face of repair stuff now and thus vulnerable prey, it's not a gender thing. lol