Gehl 4640, controls too touchy?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Azhayseed

I'm pretty new to skid steers, I recently bought a Gehl 4640 that seems to be really good shape, the main issue I'm having is the drive controls seem a bit too touchy, I keep getting this loader bucking and the only wat to get it under control is tho let go of the sticks and let it completely stop. I used to drive a case 1840 and it did the same thing but I learned to brace my elbows into my ribs and this stopped the bucking on the Case, but this trick doesn't seem to help with the Gehl. It get pretty hairy if I'm moving with the arms up in the air. I try to always lower the arms before moving but occasionally I don't!

any ideas what might help? I'm getting tired of being beat around in the cab

Last edited:

brdgbldr

I'm not familiar with your specific machine, but please do not drive with the bucket in the air. It never ends well. However, you are totally correct in the way you are letting go of the levers to get it to stop bucking. If you fight it you will loose.

A lot of skid steers buck. Sometimes this can be caused by something as simple as the tires not being inflated to the correct pressure. The trick of course with any new machine is to take it real slow until you get used to it. You may want to back the throttle off when you move the machine. Not enough that the machine stalls, but enough so that your not at full power when you try to move. When the machine is at full RPM and you go to move too quickly, it's like revving up a car engine and then dropping the clutch to peal out. In the case of a skid steer, it wants to do a wheelie, and when the weight comes back down on the front tires they bounce up and the fun begins.

OP
OP
Azhayseed

Azhayseed

I usually operate mine at low idle, I have a foot throttle to increase rpm if more power is needed. So far the only thing I do where I need high idle, is when I'm grubbing out the larger mesquite trees!

I learned not to try moving or doing any thing fast when the bucket is all the way up in the air, if I have to move I just move as slowly as possible.

pr1952

I have been running a 4400 since 1974 and ran a Bobcat 500 before that. All skid steers are vulnerable to jerky operation if you get in a hurry, and the motion of the machine magnifies the effect by causing the operator to make a larger motion on the controls. As previously mentioned, use a lower engine speed except where power is needed. When starting a move, gradually run your drive handle forward or back and allow the machine to match. Same with bucket/boom operations, use gradual, slow control adjustments. And for safety's sake, keep your bucket down unless you need it up. Slow and gentle is the way to go-these are short wheelbase machines with weight out on the ends-easy to rock and roll.

OP
OP
Azhayseed

Azhayseed

this violent bucking has become a huge problem for me, I just ruined a new custom made steel gate due to the bucking! I think my idle is set kind of high i Only run the tractor at low idle. When the engine bogs down the governor kick in and causes a surge in engine speed! I'm thinking this is contributing to the violent reactions.
I'm thinking the gate will cost me about $4k to replace, I just had it installed and it just makes me sick to have destroyed it!
anyone have an idea to stop the bucking? I have a fair amount of time operating this particular tractor and I am as gentle as I can be with the controls, the controls are the dual stick type, not joy sticks or hand and foot controls?

Firefighter

Check the engine mounts for any loose or missing bolts, also pump mounting bolts etc
anything of that nature will cause excessive lurching or bucking. i have seen it so bad that the loader
was unsafe to drive

OP
OP
Azhayseed

Azhayseed

Thanks, Firefighter. I'll have to check those two things. I jumps so bad I'm sure sometimes all 4 wheels are off the ground. And I get thrown around in the cab pretty bad! It is impossible to gently ease up on something!

marko13

just curious if you found and fixed the problem? I have occasional bucking on my old 743 bobcat but I think it's just my inexperience.

OP
OP
Azhayseed

Azhayseed

No, I haven't, I'm wondering if my
load might have the two speed travel and the switches that control that are on the tbar handles and they need to be replaced. It may be stuck in high speed! I don't know for sure since the person I bought the machine didn't know a lot about it, the 2 speed travel was an option on this machine, but I don't know how to tell if it indeed has the option.

River Fluid Power

No, I haven't, I'm wondering if my
load might have the two speed travel and the switches that control that are on the tbar handles and they need to be replaced. It may be stuck in high speed! I don't know for sure since the person I bought the machine didn't know a lot about it, the 2 speed travel was an option on this machine, but I don't know how to tell if it indeed has the option.
I may be able to tell if you drive motors are single or two speed if you can send some photos.