Gearcase rebuild - remove blind hole bearing race

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wateka

I'm rebuilding my 853 gearcase, part # 6708266. There is one bearing race/cup pressed in a deep hole with no lip exposed to pull or push on. I tried to weld a strip of metal to the race to push it out but the metal used in the race would not hold regular MIG wire and the welds would break in the shop press. I then read about putting a bead around the entire race to shrink it. Worked like a charm. When it cooled down, I just tapped it out.

brdgbldr

I'm rebuilding my 853 gearcase, part # 6708266. There is one bearing race/cup pressed in a deep hole with no lip exposed to pull or push on. I tried to weld a strip of metal to the race to push it out but the metal used in the race would not hold regular MIG wire and the welds would break in the shop press. I then read about putting a bead around the entire race to shrink it. Worked like a charm. When it cooled down, I just tapped it out.

This works great for bushings also. A lot of people don't realize that welds shrink when they cool.

SlowDave

I have a cheap set of blind bearing pullers from amazon. I use them for motorcycle work quite often. I think it was like $30. They have worked perfectly everytime I have used them.

Latest posts