FYI for owners of T870 - not obvious plastic air duct behind Turbo charger

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

SkidTracks

I had never seen it before, Bobcat mechanic didn't know about it, and it took escalation (twice?) for Bobcat mechanic to be alerted to possible cause of over-heating.

There is a difficult to see plastic air duct behind engine's turbo charger. Turbo charger on T870 (I have) is not at very back it is closer to mid-rear of machine.
The cooling fan pulls air down from top through A/C coils, Hydraulic coils, and engine Radiator. Cooling fan also pulls air thru plastic air duct to keep engine compartment cooler.

If you are working in conditions (forest / tall grass) make sure plastic air duct does not become partially plugged. Should plastic air duct become partially plugged it may get to hot (aka semi-melt) and collapse upon itself. Leading to engine and fuel over heating problems.

If you are really unlucky, (like me), the collapsed plastic air duct will lead to engine side of plastic fan shroud deforming enough for fan blades to rub on shroud. Leading to even more expense. Failure of hydraulic pump which turns fan.

brdgbldr

I had never seen it before, Bobcat mechanic didn't know about it, and it took escalation (twice?) for Bobcat mechanic to be alerted to possible cause of over-heating.

There is a difficult to see plastic air duct behind engine's turbo charger. Turbo charger on T870 (I have) is not at very back it is closer to mid-rear of machine.
The cooling fan pulls air down from top through A/C coils, Hydraulic coils, and engine Radiator. Cooling fan also pulls air thru plastic air duct to keep engine compartment cooler.

If you are working in conditions (forest / tall grass) make sure plastic air duct does not become partially plugged. Should plastic air duct become partially plugged it may get to hot (aka semi-melt) and collapse upon itself. Leading to engine and fuel over heating problems.

If you are really unlucky, (like me), the collapsed plastic air duct will lead to engine side of plastic fan shroud deforming enough for fan blades to rub on shroud. Leading to even more expense. Failure of hydraulic pump which turns fan.
Thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts