From Pittsburgh, PA

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

nkreig

Hello all, I have an interesting little old Melroe Bobcat M500 that my neighbor is planning to give to me. Long story short is the current owners are a lovely older couple that I have sort of adopted as family that live up on the hill from me. I am in the medical field and have been helping them over the past several years with medical advice and just generally looking out for and helping them in any way I can. The gentalman (Ted) has had a rough past year with several strokes leaving it difficult for him to get around and do the things he used to. He used to have a heavy equipment company that did a lot of work for the Steel industry in the past so he was used to being very active. Recently my wife and I decided to extend our driveway and called a few excavators in the area to come give us quotes on pushing some dirt we are having delivered over the hillside for the new driveway. After mentioning our plans to the neighbors, they are not going to let us hire and pay for an excavator when there is a bobcat outside that is plenty capable of this duty!! After some further discussion, they told me that given Teds poor health, they have no use for the bobcat anymore and plan to give it to me and my wife for our property. I am excited because it is really most boys dreams to have there own dirt moving toys right!? So, of coarse as soon as Ted dropped it off I got to work tearing it apart and fixing what I could on it. It is equipped with the Kohler K662 Magnum engine so, I replaced the plugs, redid all the wiring with new, replaced the seat, plug wires, fabbed new linkage for the carb and governor, scrapped and pressure sprayed about 50 years of grease and grime and changed all the fluids. Minus some new exhaust/intake manifold gaskets and points, it runs pretty well. Now to the issue, I am not sure over the years what happened to the ROPS but all I know is we cannot locate it. I spoke to the local bobcat dealer and they can get me a new one but it cost $3500. I am not going to fab one myself because this is my life on the line when I run the machine and I wouldn't put a frozen turkey on this machine without roll over protection. I have searched high and low with no luck yet. I have however found that the 600 and 610 cab should work as well. Sorry to be so long winded but I just wanted to give a proper intro. If anyone has any leads on where I can find a ROPS it would be greatly appreciated! Nate

Tazza

Staff member
Sounds like a good deal.
Some of the earlier machines didn't come with a ROPS. I agree with you that it's too dangerous without one. If you knew someone with welding abilities, i'm sure something could be made to keep you safe.
Welcome to the site too