forklift idea

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobcatgrant

Hello, newbie here. I have a 02 753g. Since I managed to bend/break the last set of really old forks I was in search of a set of used. I stumbled upon a carriage from an old clark forklift on craigslist forks and all for 100 bucks! That was for everything (ram,boom ,mast forks tilt cyls everything) So I got the thing and welded up the forks to adapt to the current skidsteers pallet fork attachment and now I have the rest on this forklift carriage. Some my plan was to make a teleboom with this ram and mast. How do I tell if the cyl is a single acting?(which I think it is-one large hose and one smaller hose)And how would I go about connecting into my aux hydraulics? Any suggestions?

Tazza

Staff member
If it's the boom cylinder i believe it is ineed single acting.
I'm really not sure how to hook it up to aux hydraulics, the issue is the return line from the connectors never has sero pressure.

OP
OP
B

bobcatgrant

If it's the boom cylinder i believe it is ineed single acting.
I'm really not sure how to hook it up to aux hydraulics, the issue is the return line from the connectors never has sero pressure.
Here was my thought- I modified a old western plow for my loader. the angle cyls I connected to the aux hyd since each has one hose. One goes to male the other to female. To angle I just use the thumb switch on the right stick. I was thinking the same principle? Also there are two main aux connections (m/f) and another small male between them? What is that for? Return?

Tazza

Staff member
Here was my thought- I modified a old western plow for my loader. the angle cyls I connected to the aux hyd since each has one hose. One goes to male the other to female. To angle I just use the thumb switch on the right stick. I was thinking the same principle? Also there are two main aux connections (m/f) and another small male between them? What is that for? Return?
Angle cylinders work that way yes, so hooking them up the aut aux connections is right. Still not fully convinced that is right for the boom cylinder though, i could be wrong.
The small hose on your machine is case drain, used for attachments that need a case drain, it basically has no pressure and goes back to the hyd tank.

OP
OP
B

bobcatgrant

Angle cylinders work that way yes, so hooking them up the aut aux connections is right. Still not fully convinced that is right for the boom cylinder though, i could be wrong.
The small hose on your machine is case drain, used for attachments that need a case drain, it basically has no pressure and goes back to the hyd tank.
so could I dump oil back into tank with the small port and just use one aux connection or would I be missing something ?

flyerdan

so could I dump oil back into tank with the small port and just use one aux connection or would I be missing something ?
Probably the best way to do this would be to find a valve body for a forklift, it will be a power beyond type so the aux hydraulics can be used continuously. That will have one single acting valve for the mast that allows the fluid to flow back into the system through gravity and at least one double acting tilt (and or) sideshift circuit. The biggest concern with this project is the lack of weight and stability for a forklift mast, there is a reason they have rigid tires and a couple tons of cast steel on the back end.

6brnorma

Probably the best way to do this would be to find a valve body for a forklift, it will be a power beyond type so the aux hydraulics can be used continuously. That will have one single acting valve for the mast that allows the fluid to flow back into the system through gravity and at least one double acting tilt (and or) sideshift circuit. The biggest concern with this project is the lack of weight and stability for a forklift mast, there is a reason they have rigid tires and a couple tons of cast steel on the back end.
I'm going to express some concern on weight also. All of my bobcats are run as forklifts but the masts are mounted directly to the body of the machine. "If" you are mounting the mast to the rams (as a pallet forks attachment is done), you could run into problems when (if) you lift the mast away from the body as you will transfer your center of gravity. We sometimes have issues even with the masts mounted to the machine. Maybe I am misunderstanding your design but be careful.

OP
OP
B

bobcatgrant

I'm going to express some concern on weight also. All of my bobcats are run as forklifts but the masts are mounted directly to the body of the machine. "If" you are mounting the mast to the rams (as a pallet forks attachment is done), you could run into problems when (if) you lift the mast away from the body as you will transfer your center of gravity. We sometimes have issues even with the masts mounted to the machine. Maybe I am misunderstanding your design but be careful.
Thanks for the input guys, but I was not entertaining the idea of the whole mast/fork idea as you guys are thinking just for those reasons. I wanted just the forks originally and those I got mounted to the original pallet fork attachment. Now I was just thinking about this huge cyl and chain/roller assembly- fabbin up more of a design like some telebooms I've seen, just using these parts. I know the cyl is overkill but it what I have. Opinions?

SkidRoe

Thanks for the input guys, but I was not entertaining the idea of the whole mast/fork idea as you guys are thinking just for those reasons. I wanted just the forks originally and those I got mounted to the original pallet fork attachment. Now I was just thinking about this huge cyl and chain/roller assembly- fabbin up more of a design like some telebooms I've seen, just using these parts. I know the cyl is overkill but it what I have. Opinions?
To build an effective teleboom, you would really need to have a double acting cylinder. I don't think gravity alone would be all that effective in retracting the boom, unless it was at a high inclination angle.
The only other application that I have seen a single acting cylinder/chain arrangement successful applied is in a car hoist.
My $0.02 - SR

Latest posts