Foam fill or not??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

farmboy55

My Bobcat when I purchased it. I t came with 3 foam filled tire's & 1 not filled, the wheel also has a different offset / dish. I'm considering getting a used set of track's and 4 new wheel's & tires. Do they make a foam fill that you can use with track's or can i put some kind of sealant in the tires. I do mostly dirt wrk. Looking for some AFFORDABLE options. thanks dennis

skidsteer.ca

Dennis
I run steel tracks on my foam filled tire on my 773 and have had no problems.
The only drawback I see is that I used to air down my rear tires to make joining the track easier, and that is not an option now. Sure is nice to never have a flat. They do ride somewhat on the stiff side, but not too bad. Main drawback is the cost. My loader came with them to but I just check the price here in canada and was quoted, 339 for foam, plus 22.00 for a new tube and 185 for a new tire. So at @ $550 a corner its definite spendy, probly less in the US everthing else seem to be that way.
I also run that green "slime" sealant http://www.slime.com/ in my 553 tires and have had no flats to date. Have not noticed any punctures though. It is supposted to seal a 1/4" hole.
Ken

OP
OP
F

farmboy55

Dennis
I run steel tracks on my foam filled tire on my 773 and have had no problems.
The only drawback I see is that I used to air down my rear tires to make joining the track easier, and that is not an option now. Sure is nice to never have a flat. They do ride somewhat on the stiff side, but not too bad. Main drawback is the cost. My loader came with them to but I just check the price here in canada and was quoted, 339 for foam, plus 22.00 for a new tube and 185 for a new tire. So at @ $550 a corner its definite spendy, probly less in the US everthing else seem to be that way.
I also run that green "slime" sealant http://www.slime.com/ in my 553 tires and have had no flats to date. Have not noticed any punctures though. It is supposted to seal a 1/4" hole.
Ken
Ken I can get a set of the of the semi solid rubber wheel's & tire's for around $1800. that you can run track's on. so I may hv to consider that route. How's the weather? It's 80 here today in Kentucky. besafe dennis

skidsteer.ca

Ken I can get a set of the of the semi solid rubber wheel's & tire's for around $1800. that you can run track's on. so I may hv to consider that route. How's the weather? It's 80 here today in Kentucky. besafe dennis
The guy who sold me the loader in Wi said foam doubled the price of new tires. But its like 2.5 times up here.
Our weather has be unseasonably warm , 70 to 80 highs and quite cool at nite low 40's, had our first frost on full moon a week or so back.
Today is cool though, 60 or so. Been so dry that forest fires are a problem and our main work is a high risk for fires. As a result we had to suspend operations from noon til 6 pm last week and Fri the Ministry of Natural Resources shut us right down.
Got a little rain on the week end now, and it cooled off, so at least we can work tommorrow. It been a great summer for outdoor activities though.
Take care
Ken

Kudagra

The guy who sold me the loader in Wi said foam doubled the price of new tires. But its like 2.5 times up here.
Our weather has be unseasonably warm , 70 to 80 highs and quite cool at nite low 40's, had our first frost on full moon a week or so back.
Today is cool though, 60 or so. Been so dry that forest fires are a problem and our main work is a high risk for fires. As a result we had to suspend operations from noon til 6 pm last week and Fri the Ministry of Natural Resources shut us right down.
Got a little rain on the week end now, and it cooled off, so at least we can work tommorrow. It been a great summer for outdoor activities though.
Take care
Ken
Usually if you are just doing dirt work its not cost effective. If you are doing alot of work like new home construction its a pretty good idea. Not alot of nails in the forrest. The MAJOR drawback to solids and tracks is they wear the chains, sprockets, and axles. Usually when a machine would come in with one of those things broken it had either Tracks, Solids or both. They work great when they work the the added strain wears stuff out alot faster.

goodtech

Usually if you are just doing dirt work its not cost effective. If you are doing alot of work like new home construction its a pretty good idea. Not alot of nails in the forrest. The MAJOR drawback to solids and tracks is they wear the chains, sprockets, and axles. Usually when a machine would come in with one of those things broken it had either Tracks, Solids or both. They work great when they work the the added strain wears stuff out alot faster.
stay away from the solid tires, foam fill do wear on the parts in the chaincase alot quicker. It just depends on the enviroment that you are going to be using the machine in

Tazza

Staff member
stay away from the solid tires, foam fill do wear on the parts in the chaincase alot quicker. It just depends on the enviroment that you are going to be using the machine in
Agreed, i know a scrappy that had a 763, he was constantly getting his tyres repaired after runing over small sharp objects. He then spent about $2000 on a set of solids, it worked well, but it made for a really rough ride!!!

WebbCo

Agreed, i know a scrappy that had a 763, he was constantly getting his tyres repaired after runing over small sharp objects. He then spent about $2000 on a set of solids, it worked well, but it made for a really rough ride!!!
No matter what you do to a set of regular tires (even foam fill) there still regular tires! You will wear them out just a bit slower then what? Cut off and replace the tires and again foam?
The stammped wheels are not meant to hold the weight and can break out the center... wasted foam and tire now! Solids can be harsh riding, look at supergrip brute tires.
I have been selling them for years and our foam fill days are over!
Mark

Latest posts