filteration question - backhoe

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

h-m

hello all, i have a question that i have not been able to find a good answer for. i just finished converting a CADDDIGGER backhoe so i could put it on my 742B bobcat. i dug for short time wednesday nite and blew my return filter canister open. so lastnite i removed the filter and finished the little project i started. i need to see what your opinions are on putting a filter in the hydraulics of the backhoe. i had an unknown filter head that was laying in my shop and i put a napa 1551 (i think) cross for a zinga AE10 canister, on it, it is on the return side of my valve body and it was put in with flow going correctly. i have a checkvalve on the return line to prevent pushing the aux control wrong way and putting pressure on the outlet side of valve. i have 1/2" supply and return lines on the backhoe and pioneer couplers on the bobcat and the backhoe, why do you guys think i might be building more than 300 lbs of pressure in the filter? how do filter my oil and not blow a can frequently? should i switch to a filter on the supply side? or do i need a return filter that is rated at 35 gpm or something to give me enough capacity so pressure doesn't build on that side? or is it the whole return design, maybe checkvavle and1/2" hose and pioneer couplers can't get the fluid away from the valve fast enough to prevent pressure in filter? backhoe is open center hydraulics. what do you guys think and if any of you have backhoes, do you have filters in them? thanks micheal

Tazza

Staff member
In the return line, the pressure should be low enough to handle a filter. I wonder why the filter burst.... They have by-passes so it shouldn't have been rubbish build up.

OP
OP
h-m

h-m

In the return line, the pressure should be low enough to handle a filter. I wonder why the filter burst.... They have by-passes so it shouldn't have been rubbish build up.
i don't know either. i think i might opt for a larger flow rate. i know i put out 10 - 12 gpm at the aux so i might opt for a 25 gpm unit and maybe move it to closer to the quick couple instead of right off the valve body and maybe go with 3/4 inch hose instead of my 1/2 inch on the return side. maybe give that a try, since i know i need to filter this unit. see how that works maybe. thanks very much micheal

jerry

i don't know either. i think i might opt for a larger flow rate. i know i put out 10 - 12 gpm at the aux so i might opt for a 25 gpm unit and maybe move it to closer to the quick couple instead of right off the valve body and maybe go with 3/4 inch hose instead of my 1/2 inch on the return side. maybe give that a try, since i know i need to filter this unit. see how that works maybe. thanks very much micheal
Mine does the same thing except it always blew the gasket out. The do make a high pressure filter for such things though. I have the same filter on the wood splitter with no problems.

OP
OP
h-m

h-m

Mine does the same thing except it always blew the gasket out. The do make a high pressure filter for such things though. I have the same filter on the wood splitter with no problems.
well, no kidding huh. maybe i should switch to filtering on the supply side and use an inline filter on that side. maybe i will try that. thanks much. micheal

TriHonu

well, no kidding huh. maybe i should switch to filtering on the supply side and use an inline filter on that side. maybe i will try that. thanks much. micheal
My Bradco 609 has a cartridge filter on the pressure side before the valve. This is standard equipment from the manufacturer.
This insures any debris from the machine or introduced from the coupler, does not damage the valve components.