engine dies at full throttle

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

stroklund

I have a m700 with the vh4d when I go to full throttle it will run for maybe a minute then sputter and die sometimes the gov will hold it and bring it back other times it wont also it will back fire. ive replaced the plugs, cap, installed an electric lift pump (the mechanical one was leaking) ive adjusted the gov a few times, ive replaced the fuel filter after I pumped out most of the gas out of the tank and put 5 gallons of fresh gas in it. ive adjusted the idle screw and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm looking for any new ideas here the factory service manual isn't very good for troubleshooting.

mark18mwm

Have you put in a new set of points and a condenser? My 600 with a Wisconsin eats up condensers any that makes it real-real bad. Just a idea and something cheap and easy to replace.

mark18mwm

Have you put in a new set of points and a condenser? My 600 with a Wisconsin eats up condensers any that makes it real-real bad. Just a idea and something cheap and easy to replace.
Sorry fat fingers, lol. Supposed to say eats up condensers and that makes it run really-really bad.

OP
OP
S

stroklund

Sorry fat fingers, lol. Supposed to say eats up condensers and that makes it run really-really bad.
no I haven't put a set of points in it yet. was a thought and im going to get a new rotor soon as I find a part number for it. you happen to have a part number for the points? not real sure where im supposed to adjust them at. book is kinda vauge do I set them when the timing marks are lined up or when do you adjust them?

mark18mwm

no I haven't put a set of points in it yet. was a thought and im going to get a new rotor soon as I find a part number for it. you happen to have a part number for the points? not real sure where im supposed to adjust them at. book is kinda vauge do I set them when the timing marks are lined up or when do you adjust them?
Sorry, I don't think I have the part numbers. But my local Carquest auto parts store just looks them up and usualy has them in stock or has them the next day. I set my points at .20 gap. I find it easiest to turn the engine over by hand until the points are open on the highest part of the distributor cam to set the gap. Don't forget the condenser, for some reason I have more trouble with the condenser then the points but I change both at the same time. I'm sure one of the other guys here will know the part numbers for that stuff. If you don't want to go to a parts store and have them look it up and buy them there. I will look to see if I have any old box's for that stuff with part numbers , but no promises I will. Also, just a tip, there is a hole in the bottom of the distributor that seems made specifically made to swallow one of the screws from the points when you remove them. You may want to plug that hole with a rag or something when you change points. Don't ask me how I know, the same as my edited post above fat (clumsy) fingers. lol

OP
OP
S

stroklund

Sorry, I don't think I have the part numbers. But my local Carquest auto parts store just looks them up and usualy has them in stock or has them the next day. I set my points at .20 gap. I find it easiest to turn the engine over by hand until the points are open on the highest part of the distributor cam to set the gap. Don't forget the condenser, for some reason I have more trouble with the condenser then the points but I change both at the same time. I'm sure one of the other guys here will know the part numbers for that stuff. If you don't want to go to a parts store and have them look it up and buy them there. I will look to see if I have any old box's for that stuff with part numbers , but no promises I will. Also, just a tip, there is a hole in the bottom of the distributor that seems made specifically made to swallow one of the screws from the points when you remove them. You may want to plug that hole with a rag or something when you change points. Don't ask me how I know, the same as my edited post above fat (clumsy) fingers. lol
just have them look up by application? or engine?

6brnorma

just have them look up by application? or engine?
stroklund…..there have been a number of different distributors used on the VH4D throughout the years…..Solid State, Colt and Prestolite were all used (and probably a couple more). It is best if you can get that info off the distributor to give to a parts man so he knows where to start. If you buy the parts from a bobcat dealer……the serial number of the engine or machine will help him. I have changed all of my machines to electronic distributors due to the constant problems I ran into with the others. If you have one of the more common distributors, I can give you the "Bobcat" part numbers but I won't have the "NAPA" or "Autozone" numbers.

6brnorma

stroklund…..there have been a number of different distributors used on the VH4D throughout the years…..Solid State, Colt and Prestolite were all used (and probably a couple more). It is best if you can get that info off the distributor to give to a parts man so he knows where to start. If you buy the parts from a bobcat dealer……the serial number of the engine or machine will help him. I have changed all of my machines to electronic distributors due to the constant problems I ran into with the others. If you have one of the more common distributors, I can give you the "Bobcat" part numbers but I won't have the "NAPA" or "Autozone" numbers.
Also…..follow Marks advice and replace all the 'consumable' parts when you do a tune up……cap, points, condenser, plugs, maybe wires, coils don't usually just die but they can fail, etc. etc

OP
OP
S

stroklund

Also…..follow Marks advice and replace all the 'consumable' parts when you do a tune up……cap, points, condenser, plugs, maybe wires, coils don't usually just die but they can fail, etc. etc
i got a good bobcat dealer in town where I work. they have a lot of parts for my older machine or know where to find them or refer me to. I got new points rotor and condenser last night didn't get chance to put them in. their parts guy and mechanic told me to try a carb kit to since ive had some gas problems in the past said the float might a bit sticky said it wouldn't hurt so I pulled the carb off when I got home last night and put in the pail of carb cleaner to soak so at lunch I can go get a carb kit and rebuild the carb and put it all on tonight. fingers crossed that this shotgun blast tune up will fix her all up so I can push the snow that's coming tonight and tomorow

OP
OP
S

stroklund

i got a good bobcat dealer in town where I work. they have a lot of parts for my older machine or know where to find them or refer me to. I got new points rotor and condenser last night didn't get chance to put them in. their parts guy and mechanic told me to try a carb kit to since ive had some gas problems in the past said the float might a bit sticky said it wouldn't hurt so I pulled the carb off when I got home last night and put in the pail of carb cleaner to soak so at lunch I can go get a carb kit and rebuild the carb and put it all on tonight. fingers crossed that this shotgun blast tune up will fix her all up so I can push the snow that's coming tonight and tomorow
rebuilt the carb yesterday over lunch found a chunk of felt like material in the inlet side of the carb and just some varnish buildup on the jets cleaned her all up put it together then put a new rotor on the bobcat and she fired up and runs like a dream. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP YOU GUYS SAVED ME A LOT OF HEADACHE!!!!

mark18mwm

rebuilt the carb yesterday over lunch found a chunk of felt like material in the inlet side of the carb and just some varnish buildup on the jets cleaned her all up put it together then put a new rotor on the bobcat and she fired up and runs like a dream. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP YOU GUYS SAVED ME A LOT OF HEADACHE!!!!
Glad you got her running! That crap ethanol gas they sell now sucks, I should have thought about the carb. I work on small engines and ATV's & snowmobile's and that is about the most common problem now.

Latest posts