Drive train noise

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JLDBobcat

Hello, I have a Bobcat 2002 763G and it has about 2100 hours on it. The problem is when traveling downhill or going over a bump it makes an intermitted noise and sometimes a small jerk to the left. The noise sounds like it is coming from the drive train not the engine. Any advice is appreciated. Jesse

OldMachinist

Jack and block it so all 4 tires are off the ground. Try rotating each tire by hand to see how much play the drive chains have. Then check in, out, up and down play on each axle.

OP
OP
J

JLDBobcat

Jack and block it so all 4 tires are off the ground. Try rotating each tire by hand to see how much play the drive chains have. Then check in, out, up and down play on each axle.
With all of the tires off of the ground all of the axle bearings are tight. Play in the rotation of the tires from the left side compared to right side seems close to each other from what I can tell. When traveling downhill loaded or unloaded the noise and the twitching to the left happen at the same time, but this is not a consistent problem. Is there a way to check/adjust the chain tension. The machine drives fine/straight on level ground. I don't know if it is in the chains or the drive motor itself. How hard/expensive is it to replace the drive chains? Thank you for your help.

Tazza

Staff member
With all of the tires off of the ground all of the axle bearings are tight. Play in the rotation of the tires from the left side compared to right side seems close to each other from what I can tell. When traveling downhill loaded or unloaded the noise and the twitching to the left happen at the same time, but this is not a consistent problem. Is there a way to check/adjust the chain tension. The machine drives fine/straight on level ground. I don't know if it is in the chains or the drive motor itself. How hard/expensive is it to replace the drive chains? Thank you for your help.
There is no adjustment for the chains, when they wear and stretch, they will eventually need replacing if it gets too bad.