Deere 320 drops cylinder

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wmuhler

My 320 stars easily and runs great until warm. It then drops a cylinder when warm or after about 5 minutes. Shut it off, cool to ambient temperature and runs great until warm. New transfer pump and return check valve /regulator. Cannot identify the cylinder as it must be warm to loose cylinder and run rough. At 2,000 rpm or above it feels like the cylinder is running and the power is not low. Ideas?

foton

I guess to find the dead cylinder when it gets hot enough to act up open each injector at the fuel delivery line and see which one does not change engine running condition. one that has no effect is bad one. kinda sounds like a bad injector to me as you describe it. make sure all your filters are clean and can deliver a unrestricted supply of fuel to injection system, this could be a lean fuel system supply problem, also a suction side leak could give a wacky problem also.

OP
OP
W

wmuhler

I guess to find the dead cylinder when it gets hot enough to act up open each injector at the fuel delivery line and see which one does not change engine running condition. one that has no effect is bad one. kinda sounds like a bad injector to me as you describe it. make sure all your filters are clean and can deliver a unrestricted supply of fuel to injection system, this could be a lean fuel system supply problem, also a suction side leak could give a wacky problem also.
This is a Deere ifs with each cylinder having its own pump and injector under the valve cover. Trying to not buy 4 $450 ifs units and $500 worth of tools to time them. engine also has zero blowby, but is using oil.

Tazza

Staff member
This is a Deere ifs with each cylinder having its own pump and injector under the valve cover. Trying to not buy 4 $450 ifs units and $500 worth of tools to time them. engine also has zero blowby, but is using oil.
The pumps are mounted to the block though? injectors are under the valve cover, but i thought there should be tube lines running from each injector pump to the injectors, so you should be able to crack a line one at a time to work out what one is bad.
Injectors are made to run hot, so i'd like to think they won't be the issue, but i guess a pump could go bad.
Just how much oil is it using? you say there is no blow-by, it's possible any internal leakage is plumbed abck into the inlet manifold, that could be where the oil is going, it just ets slowly burnt off.

OP
OP
W

wmuhler

The pumps are mounted to the block though? injectors are under the valve cover, but i thought there should be tube lines running from each injector pump to the injectors, so you should be able to crack a line one at a time to work out what one is bad.
Injectors are made to run hot, so i'd like to think they won't be the issue, but i guess a pump could go bad.
Just how much oil is it using? you say there is no blow-by, it's possible any internal leakage is plumbed abck into the inlet manifold, that could be where the oil is going, it just ets slowly burnt off.
The only problem is that you must take the turbo, air cleaner and muffler off to get the valve cover off. Not user friendly! I will attempt to get the tools this weekend (takes a special tool to hold injector while loosening injector line) and remove the injectors, not the pumps, and get them tested. If that is not the problem I guess I will be replacing all 4 IFS as the amount of work involved for replacing all four is not much more than one once you get to them. Very poor design. This tractor has 2,000 hours and is my last John Deere. My New Holland L230 has 8,300 hours, uses no oil, and runs like new.

Latest posts