Dead battery

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kenken

Bobcat 753, if I leave the negative battery terminal on the battery within a couple days or so the battery will be dead have to take the negative battery cable off in order for the battery to hold a charge any ideas

brdgbldr

Sounds like you have a short somewhere.

If it is a keyed machine, I would start with replacing the ignition switch.

I hate electrical problems.

OP
OP
K

kenken

Also there is a cut or tear in the positive battery cable exposing the wires a little bit not much but I also wondered if that could have something to do with it

brdgbldr

Also there is a cut or tear in the positive battery cable exposing the wires a little bit not much but I also wondered if that could have something to do with it
Only if it is shorting out to ground somehow.
I would definitely replace, or at least tape up, that cable.

OP
OP
K

kenken

Sounds like you have a short somewhere.

If it is a keyed machine, I would start with replacing the ignition switch.

I hate electrical problems.
Yeah I hate electrical systems too period. They just suck all around.
But you suggest trying the ignition switch why just out of curiosity

brdgbldr

I've replaced a lot of ignition switches in skid steers. They are cheaply made and fail more often then not. They are cheep and easy to replace. (Just a note, Bobcat and other manufacturers only have one key that fits every machine lock. No security at all. You can get the same type of ignition that have different keys.)

Some switches will go bad and the accessory part will stay connected. Sometimes you can tell this with your gauges staying on when the key is removed. This power draw will kill the battery slowly over time.

OP
OP
K

kenken

No the gauges don't stay on when you turn the key off or take the key out I personally don't really know if it battery dies after a few days of leaving the battery the negative battery terminal that's something that I need to find out for myself

mrbb

ok, have to ask since not stated, how old is the battery here?? has it been load tested to be ruled out as the issue
as now were in winter and colder temps, a poor battery can have issues holding a charge in itself!

and what is your charging voltage showing when it is running?
, is the alternator charging s it should?

OP
OP
K

kenken

ok, have to ask since not stated, how old is the battery here?? has it been load tested to be ruled out as the issue
as now were in winter and colder temps, a poor battery can have issues holding a charge in itself!

and what is your charging voltage showing when it is running?
, is the alternator charging s it should?
So the battery is only a couple years old I'm not sure the exact numbers but the voltage gauge or the vault gauge meter whatever you want to call it in the cab reads good and the battery itself is I don't remember the numbers but it's within range I would have to double check

foton

if you have a voltmeter read the voltage on the battery itself before starting (should be around 12 volts) then start and read battery again , voltage when running should be above 13.5 volts. next ( with the key off) I assume that the meter has a amp scale if so pull off the red cable from the battery and put the meter in series and measure drain, should be only milliamps if anything at all. hopefully not over 10 amps as that will take out the amp section of the meter.

mrbb

So the battery is only a couple years old I'm not sure the exact numbers but the voltage gauge or the vault gauge meter whatever you want to call it in the cab reads good and the battery itself is I don't remember the numbers but it's within range I would have to double check
well just so you know, a battery is not determined GOOD , based on a volt reading, as even a a battery that reads 12+ volts when fully charged can be a a BAD battery,
this is why you load test a battery to check if its good or not

and MOST batteries in like machines have only about 3-5 yr life span,
my suggestion would be pull this battery and take and have it load tested, (if you have a battery load tester, or if not) take it to any good auto parts store where they can do so for you, its FREE at most stores,
, like advance auto/auto zone and so on!
this will rule out if your issue is the battery or else where,
as until you are 100% positive the battery is good,(again NOT just a voltage reading) or not, , doing anything else is rather pointless!
so, again, have battery tested
its a process of ruling out things one at a time, and when dealing with power issues, you have to KNOW the battery is good or not before going down stream!
and I will also add this, over MY life time and as well as friends,
we have all BOUGHT brand new battery's that were BAD from the get go, so, some times NEW battery, doesn't also mean a GOD battery!, but at least most new one's have a warranty and can be corrected with a GOOD one free of charge, minus hassle!

so, when BUYING a new battery, at a chain store, have them test it before leaving store, it can save you some down time!
just food for thought!

wkola

If you find the battery good you could have a bad alternator . the diodes could be bad it will charge but discharge a battery . and if alternator ends up being good then pull the wire off of the battery and hook a test light between the two and with the bulb on pull the fuse and relay one at a time to find which one the light goes out that will be your drain

OP
OP
K

kenken

If you find the battery good you could have a bad alternator . the diodes could be bad it will charge but discharge a battery . and if alternator ends up being good then pull the wire off of the battery and hook a test light between the two and with the bulb on pull the fuse and relay one at a time to find which one the light goes out that will be your drain
You mean use a test light

OP
OP
K

kenken

I mean I'm pretty sure I know this but if I use a test light to test the fuses and all that stuff should I hook it to the positive terminal or the negative terminal and should the key be on or off I know it's it's a dumb question but I just want to make sure and do it right you know and I have to go back and do it all over again do it right the first time you know

wkola

disconnect one lead of the battery and put one lead of the test light on the battery lead you have off and the test light other to the post of the battery and then pull one fuse or relay at a time and the light goes out that is the circuit with the draw

Ster1

Wkola is not wrong, that's the method I use to track down boogers like this, and is the one I'd suggest. I like to use an ammeter in series with the battery. I find test lights a little inaccurate for my tastes. Good luck. Electrical stuff can be tough.

Latest posts