Ct332 starting issue

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JD8345r

Always has been a good starting machine until today. Had been running for few hours shut it off while switching attachments went to restart and it just clicks. Turn the key to start position enough times it will eventually start. Is this a key switch problem or a starter solenoid? Is there a starter relay? Odd this would happen out of the blue. Any help would be appreciated

Tazza

Staff member
I'd test by jumping power at the starter to see if it cranks well when powered direct, if it does, the starter is good, then work back from there.
You should have a small pin on the starter that you apply +12 to, this will make the starter spin.

flyerdan

I'd test by jumping power at the starter to see if it cranks well when powered direct, if it does, the starter is good, then work back from there.
You should have a small pin on the starter that you apply +12 to, this will make the starter spin.
The easiest way is test with a jumper; there is a cable from the battery right there to clip to, remove the small wire from the key switch and see if a direct wire engages it.

If it still clicks, chances are that the solenoid has eroded the two square head copper bolts to the point that the disc won't make good contact. I had this happen on my forklift. Turned the bolt heads 180 degrees so that the new part contacted the disc and it works like new. It only takes a few thousandths to make them act up.

If it starts normally, it could be a gummed up ignition switch, or any of the safety switches inline before it gets to the starter, or a wire connector that's holding on by a few strands, etc.

7LBSSMALLIE

The easiest way is test with a jumper; there is a cable from the battery right there to clip to, remove the small wire from the key switch and see if a direct wire engages it.

If it still clicks, chances are that the solenoid has eroded the two square head copper bolts to the point that the disc won't make good contact. I had this happen on my forklift. Turned the bolt heads 180 degrees so that the new part contacted the disc and it works like new. It only takes a few thousandths to make them act up.

If it starts normally, it could be a gummed up ignition switch, or any of the safety switches inline before it gets to the starter, or a wire connector that's holding on by a few strands, etc.
aux hyds are in dead head,

Latest posts