Considering an ASV PT 100. Any thoughts?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

johnschwarz

My family farms in Northern Indiana and I have been considering purchasing a tracked skid steer to run along side the excavator when we are taking out fence rows, clearing brush areas, etc. We have demoed a JD CT 332 (liked it, but cab lets in too much dirt), a CAT 300 (liked it, and probably would go with a T320), and a CAT 287 (hated it, no power). Looks like ASV makes the highest HP machine on the market, and I'm seeing some very low hour machines for around 30,000.00. I'd like to hear from you who have experience with the PT series, especially the PT 100. What are the pro's and con's of these machines? The undercarriage does not look as robust as what is on the Deere and the Bobcat, but that may just be the appearance. Thanks!

bobcat_ron

Get something else, the track repairs after 800 hours will be brutal and because Terex now handles ASV, get ready for some "price adjustments".
A Takeuchi TL250 is a real power house, and there are some used Cat 279, 289, and 299C's out there, low hours, but the dealers want to move them.
Case CTL's are also a close power competitior for Cat's and Takeuchi's.
But overall, I would avoid the ASV, I like the track system in the right applications, but not on 90+ horsepower.

sandhills-elect

Get something else, the track repairs after 800 hours will be brutal and because Terex now handles ASV, get ready for some "price adjustments".
A Takeuchi TL250 is a real power house, and there are some used Cat 279, 289, and 299C's out there, low hours, but the dealers want to move them.
Case CTL's are also a close power competitior for Cat's and Takeuchi's.
But overall, I would avoid the ASV, I like the track system in the right applications, but not on 90+ horsepower.
I was moving dirt for a new building site, the concrete guy showed up and saw my Gehl Ctl 60 whitch is the same as a Tak 130, he said he like my undercarriage cause it cleaned out better than his Case 450, he said his case had been in shop more hours than working, his words not mine, maybe a lemon, i thought case was a good machine. Just what i have been told. I ran a fair sized Asv yesterday, it would handle 2000lbs i don't know size of machine but i think far as hydraulic power my gehl would have eaten it up and spit it out. Just did not care for the thing, it seemed you better be running 2000rpms to get anything done. Would travel fast as hell i will give it that. Just my 2cents. Brent.

bobcat_ron

I was moving dirt for a new building site, the concrete guy showed up and saw my Gehl Ctl 60 whitch is the same as a Tak 130, he said he like my undercarriage cause it cleaned out better than his Case 450, he said his case had been in shop more hours than working, his words not mine, maybe a lemon, i thought case was a good machine. Just what i have been told. I ran a fair sized Asv yesterday, it would handle 2000lbs i don't know size of machine but i think far as hydraulic power my gehl would have eaten it up and spit it out. Just did not care for the thing, it seemed you better be running 2000rpms to get anything done. Would travel fast as hell i will give it that. Just my 2cents. Brent.
IF someone is really hooked on the ASV undercarriage, I would suggest a Cat MTL as Cat skidsteers are more "skidsteer like", easy access to the engine area and bigger cab, ASV's machines are very odd, they have a hood you need to lift to pull the dip stick and a belly pan that has to be dropped to drain the oil.

Digdeep

IF someone is really hooked on the ASV undercarriage, I would suggest a Cat MTL as Cat skidsteers are more "skidsteer like", easy access to the engine area and bigger cab, ASV's machines are very odd, they have a hood you need to lift to pull the dip stick and a belly pan that has to be dropped to drain the oil.
"skidsteer like" is the reason why many of the non-ASV machines are way too wide, have no ground clearance to speak of, have crappy weight to hp ratios, small engines for their operating weights, puny bucket capacities, have poor ground speed, poor weight distribution that tears up turf, etc. The PT100 hood is just as easy to open as any skid steer door since it has gas assisted shocks to open it up and you can drain the oil on the PT100 just like you can on my RC50...through a drain hole on the bottom of the belly pan. I know many people who run the old RC100s and a couple new PT100s and all of them get better track life (1200-1900hrs) than any of the Bobcat's (I sold them to them), Cases, or CAT machines they used to operate. Demo all of them and you will see what I mean about the widths, ground clearance, engine hp and torque, etc. Also don't be fooled by the 297 or 299. They advertise 90 net hp but get it out of the same 3.3L engine that ASV uses for their PT70/80s and it only puts out 217ft lbs of torque. The PT100 uses a 4.4L engine that puts out 92 net hp and 306ft lbs of peak torque. That is a big difference (89ft lbs)considering they only differ by 2 net hp.