Compair 175S compressor (cr175)

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
Mine does run off of a 2 cyl. Duetz diesel. It does governe itself but seems to load down and unload a lot if im not using full air. It may need an adjustment. It a whole different world when you have plenty of air. Gets the job done. Mike
Thats rite... sorry, i forgot yours ran a Deutz
Worst case, it does have 5 outlets, i can open one to let the excess air off if required.

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
Thats rite... sorry, i forgot yours ran a Deutz
Worst case, it does have 5 outlets, i can open one to let the excess air off if required.
Mine does say to close all outlets before starting. I figured they don't want it starting then going to full throttle and staying there till you close the outlets. This would give the oil time to circulate.
When it starts, it revs up then idles back as the reserve tank fills, which is pretty darn fast!

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
Mine does say to close all outlets before starting. I figured they don't want it starting then going to full throttle and staying there till you close the outlets. This would give the oil time to circulate.
When it starts, it revs up then idles back as the reserve tank fills, which is pretty darn fast!
Ok, started it up and fiddled a bit. It throttles up to compensate for the extra air that is required, it doesn't "hunt". You can see the throttle arm on the pump moving slightly to maintain the required speed to hold the pressure. I did notice i get a bit of oil coming out the air ports, i don't understand how its all setup. It appears that the air reserve is actually the oil reserve tank too but i'm not 100% on that, its really hard to tell. The info i got told me that you need to drain the water from the reserve tank every day but the only valve i could find drained a bit of water but then oil came out.... I assume its normal for oil to be in the reserve tank as the screw runs in oil but i don't know if its to be drained off from the reserve tank....

mllud

Ok, started it up and fiddled a bit. It throttles up to compensate for the extra air that is required, it doesn't "hunt". You can see the throttle arm on the pump moving slightly to maintain the required speed to hold the pressure. I did notice i get a bit of oil coming out the air ports, i don't understand how its all setup. It appears that the air reserve is actually the oil reserve tank too but i'm not 100% on that, its really hard to tell. The info i got told me that you need to drain the water from the reserve tank every day but the only valve i could find drained a bit of water but then oil came out.... I assume its normal for oil to be in the reserve tank as the screw runs in oil but i don't know if its to be drained off from the reserve tank....
On mine the oil tank is also the air reserve tank. there is a sight glass that is about half way up on mine, Thats the oil level for the hydraulic fluid. I believe the tank has a chamber inside and the oil and air are seperated there. The top of my tank is bolted on. I havent opened it up.The only place mine has to bleed off water is on a trap by the regulator.
It sounds like I need to adjust my throtle/govoner. With my valves closed mine is hunting. Thats why I have to leave some air bleading off. Mike

mllud

On mine the oil tank is also the air reserve tank. there is a sight glass that is about half way up on mine, Thats the oil level for the hydraulic fluid. I believe the tank has a chamber inside and the oil and air are seperated there. The top of my tank is bolted on. I havent opened it up.The only place mine has to bleed off water is on a trap by the regulator.
It sounds like I need to adjust my throtle/govoner. With my valves closed mine is hunting. Thats why I have to leave some air bleading off. Mike
Tazza This is an electric unit but it shows that tank.
RotaryScrewCompressor.gif

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza This is an electric unit but it shows that tank.
After a bit of a prowl on the net i found a good PDF file that shows that the oil in injected into the helical screws to create a seal and lubricate the bearings. The air it generates is a mix of compressed air and oil that sprays into the tank. The air is on the top (naturally) and is taken from the other side, it can then go to a second oil separator (which mine doesn't have) then is ready to use. I found the oil i got spraying out was when i opened the valve fully, so that was blowing all the air out, the gauge read 30psi, so i'm sure the turbulence inside the oil tank was pulling the oil out with it for that reason. The oil and water i got out of the tank was a bit grubby, i need to change the oil and filter, i just need to find what oil i needs.
I managed to hook up the sandblaster today and drilled the tip out to 1/4"... WOW it eats the paint up, but i can go bigger as i was feeding it with 2 standard 1/2" air lines. I don't have the proper ones that you twist like 1/2 a turn to lock in place for high volume. With the 2 lines i was sustaining 70 PSI and the compressor wasn't even working! I think it can easily go 5/16" but my next restriction will be my air feed lines on the blaster, they are only about 1/2" ID, they run from the top of the pot to the bottom where the sand is fed in. Even with 1/4" I'm pretty happy with the results, i just need to try it on better paint like on the chassis of the machine to see how it cuts through the tough stuff.

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
After a bit of a prowl on the net i found a good PDF file that shows that the oil in injected into the helical screws to create a seal and lubricate the bearings. The air it generates is a mix of compressed air and oil that sprays into the tank. The air is on the top (naturally) and is taken from the other side, it can then go to a second oil separator (which mine doesn't have) then is ready to use. I found the oil i got spraying out was when i opened the valve fully, so that was blowing all the air out, the gauge read 30psi, so i'm sure the turbulence inside the oil tank was pulling the oil out with it for that reason. The oil and water i got out of the tank was a bit grubby, i need to change the oil and filter, i just need to find what oil i needs.
I managed to hook up the sandblaster today and drilled the tip out to 1/4"... WOW it eats the paint up, but i can go bigger as i was feeding it with 2 standard 1/2" air lines. I don't have the proper ones that you twist like 1/2 a turn to lock in place for high volume. With the 2 lines i was sustaining 70 PSI and the compressor wasn't even working! I think it can easily go 5/16" but my next restriction will be my air feed lines on the blaster, they are only about 1/2" ID, they run from the top of the pot to the bottom where the sand is fed in. Even with 1/4" I'm pretty happy with the results, i just need to try it on better paint like on the chassis of the machine to see how it cuts through the tough stuff.
I got a price on getting the machine serviced..... Put it this way, i paid less for the machine than what the deal wants for a full service!
He did give me more information though, other things that i didn't know where there like the oil seperator. There is a filter inside the air reserve tank that needs to be replaced along with the main hydraulic oil filter. He also pointed out that the machine needs to be run long enough to heat it up so that any moisture that may be in the air/oil tank evaporates.