cold start procedure for 1998 case 1840 uni-loader

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

riverrunner

Hi all
New guy here with one Question for now.
Just bought a 1998 case 1840 uni-loader with 4b cummins....can anyone tell me what cold start procedure is for this machine?
does it have glo plugs/ or intake heater or nothing/ there doesn't seem to be any indicator lights or key position for a pre heat before cranking...it has a block heater but part of my
issue is where its located there is no power to plug in.

Thanks for any info Chris.

foton

I do not know exactly but if it has a intake manf. heater it will have a small fuel line going to the intake manf. and a electrical hook up too. I have a perkins 4.2 liter set up like that , a center position on the key switch turns on the heater they say about 10 seconds is all you need to get it to get the diesel to light, but mine has never worked right. I added a freeze plug type heater and a battery blanket, but I got power. I guess you could use a generator to run the heaters and start it 1 hour before you need the machine. what a pain that would be. good luck, oh if you have the diesel manifold heater it is possible that the electric ingition post in the manifold itself is bad . You can take them out and put 12 volts to them and see if it gets hot in a hurry, it should.

OP
OP
R

riverrunner

ok thanks for the info....I will check next time I'm out there....but wouldn't it be odd to have nothing at all?

foton

I have a 50 hp 4 cyl. Quanchi engine on a tractor that uses a direct injection engine with no heaters and it will start right up at 20 f, now it is very noisey upon starting , but it does start easily at that temp. but I should probably add a block heater to it to make the oil move better when cold. so it is done sometimes without heaters. now that I think about it I had a case 1450 dozer had case 504 engine and it had no heaters but a starting fluid port to assist in cold weather. did not use it, to many sad stories.

billyb

Hi all
New guy here with one Question for now.
Just bought a 1998 case 1840 uni-loader with 4b cummins....can anyone tell me what cold start procedure is for this machine?
does it have glo plugs/ or intake heater or nothing/ there doesn't seem to be any indicator lights or key position for a pre heat before cranking...it has a block heater but part of my
issue is where its located there is no power to plug in.

Thanks for any info Chris.
Hello I have a few Case 1840 and 1845C machines. I think the 1840 was one of the best all around machines ever made and I have several newer machines of different makes. I have never had an 1840 or 1845C that came with a preheater aside from a coolant block heater 110V
Case's start aid was an ether injection assy with a push button beside the key. Unit was mounted on RH side of engine with small plastic line to the intake.

ezridr60

I bought an 1840 from my brother. he used the factory installed ether injection to get it going in cold weather, said it was a bitch to get going. I put a block heater on it, 110V, run it for an hour or more depending on the temperature. Starts right up, I also move it from the pole barn to the garage, and I keep a trickle charger on it as well. Case requirements are the heater below 32F, run the engine at half throttle, move the machine slowly til the hydraulic motors/fluid warm up. I usually let it high idle for 15-20 minutes before moving, and once outside I cycle the bucket/boom 3 or 4 times to warm the hydraulics. I also replaced the battery with one that has much higher CCA rating.

Gearclash

I have CIH tractors of similar vintage with the 6BT engine; there is no cold start assist on them beside ether and a block heater. Just jump in them and crank them up. The B series Cummins will start pretty good down to around 20*F, below that they will begin to complain but will start with no aid at all down to around 0. Below that it will be a real argument, or better use a little ether or plug it in.