Clearing snow on a hill?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

acs

Hi, I have a bobcat s175 (wheeled) and am hoping to start using it to clear snow. I live on a fairly steep asphalt driveway and was thinking about getting an angle power broom as we get a lot of wet snow here in the PacNW.
Does anyone have any experience with a bobcat and angle power broom? Also curious about anyone's experience with a wheeled bobcat in the snow, I have yet to use it in this location so have no idea if they have ok traction or I'm more likely to just slide down the hill.
Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Phil314

Can't comment on and angle broom.

But I've got a large hill on my driveway. I used chains for many years.
Then switch to snow tires, which I think work better.

OP
OP
A

acs

What snow tires did you get? Thoughts on the power broom over a plow? I have a little yard max power broom and it works very well, but with two small wheels it can't handle the hill.

brdgbldr

Brooms work well to remove snow on asphalt unless the snow gets too deep. Then you just end up plowing with the broom.

The broom will clear the asphalt, where a plow blade will leave a layer of snow since they have "shoes" to keep the plow from digging into the surface.

OP
OP
A

acs

Thanks everyone!
Sounds like snow tires might be my best option, I worry the chains would tear up my asphalt as the bobcat is heavier with a smaller contact patch than a car?
Amy recommended brands of snow tires? Key issue is traction on ice and post broomed surfaces versus traction in deep snow.

Any other advice or watch outs?

Phil314

Thanks everyone!
Sounds like snow tires might be my best option, I worry the chains would tear up my asphalt as the bobcat is heavier with a smaller contact patch than a car?
Amy recommended brands of snow tires? Key issue is traction on ice and post broomed surfaces versus traction in deep snow.

Any other advice or watch outs?
I've got a long driveway and get deep drifts, so a plow is the only options for me.

Part of the reason I stop using chains is they did a lot of damage to my garage floor.
I don't think they would be asphalt friendly.

My snow tires were from a local tire company, they are a generic skid steer snow tire.
The main thing is they are tall, skinny with really deep tread.

Attachments

• 20180914_120244.jpg
    20180914_120244.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 76
OP
OP
A

acs

Yeah a snowplow was my first thought but it will also destroy my landscape on the sides which is one reason I like the brush. Really good to know about the chains, I can't see it being good to the driveway.
Given that my concern is not deep snow I'm wondering if those sock things for tires would be a good solution, I know they are specifically designed for icy conditions. Ultimately at some point next winter I'm just going to have to point the thing down the hill and hope for the best...
Will post in the attachment forum for advice/recs on the power broom.

marko13

I've got a long driveway and get deep drifts, so a plow is the only options for me.

Part of the reason I stop using chains is they did a lot of damage to my garage floor.

My snow tires were from a local tire company, they are a generic skid steer snow tire.

Oh my gosh you're not kidding long driveway and a lot of snow... I think I'd be moving to Arizona LOL

dfb

I have BKT Jumbo Trax on my 742B that is primarily used to push snow around my 8500s/f parking lot. I use a 1" thick rubber cutting edge on the Bobcat Dozer/Plow blade. The combination is fantastic, plenty of traction and the rubber cutting edge cleans right down to the asphalt surface without tearing up the surface. Not leaving a coating behind with a "shoed" plow makes a huge difference. Here in the Boston area we can get lots of heavy, wet snow. If I can wait til the snow stops, clean up is quick and clean.

pmunderwood

Coke-in-MN

Koeckeritz Iron & Steel

My son built a couple plows for me to use and then made a couple for contractor friends of mine , now has been doing them in my shop for several years . He has a Facebook page with some videos of his plows and other attachments he now makes .
I went from a farm tractor with back blade doing my own drive to, loader on tractor , pickup plow, backhoe and 4 wheel drive loader and skid loaders . 50 + years now of moving snow at Church next door and last year had to pile snow into 15 ft high piles to have room to store it . ( check out videos on you tube of some of the attachments )

Good morning! It's the last day of August and some would say the end of summer. Leaves are starting to change and there's a snap in the air. Time to start getting things squared away for the fall. To help in this endeavor, we offer many tools to take days long work, and bring it into an afternoon of you and your machine. Our buckthorn pullers come in a variety of sizes for all machines. They make ridding your property of those pesky weed trees, a breeze. We also offer grading planers for smoothing out your driveways and final spreading of dirt on a worksite, leaving it ready for fall seeding of grass or sod. We also have plows for what we all know is coming, winter. Don't be caught without a way to move the dreaded white stuff! We offer a variety of sizes and styles to service all situations. If your machine is wheeled or tracked, new or old, standard or custom faceplate mounting, we can build to suit them all! Contact us for any of your equipment needs! (651)269-5688
We look forward to hearing from you!

Coke-in-MN

One of sons designs now for plows has shortened the distance from blade to faceplate for skid loaders so plow is a lot closer to machine , This makes the plow A frame pivot with single cylinder rather than 2 rams like most plows . Also has a hinge frame instead of chain or solid mount so plow can float or be pinned for down pressure on cutting edge . Works good for pushing yourself backwards if you get hung up in snow also.

haymaker

I used to plow. I would not trade my blower for anything, one pass each direction and I am done.
When snow gets too high on each side (I have had it 5 feet or more) where I have blown it, I can blow snow straight into the fields and knock the pile down.
Also when snow is very deep I just go slow and let it work through.
Everyone's situation is different but this is the way it works best for me.
Snow tires would probably be nice too but I can't justify another 2 grand for tires and rims since what I am doing works great.

Coke-in-MN

Have been moving snow for 50 years now and mostly use truck mounted plow for general use but cleanup with skid loader plow or bucket . Last year I had to stack snow 3 times to keep lots open and skid loader worked good except last time when had to move piles and stack snow up to 12 or more feet high in places - When a backhoe loader works great .

Latest posts