Chains for Tracks

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OhioFarmer

Has anyone tried these chains to give track better grip on snow and in mud. Curious if they help a lot or if they just get torn off.

mrbb

they do work and will make a big difference on traction, but as to if they will get damaged or torn off the tracks,
it sort of comes down to the surface your driving them on and location and what they are driving over
as are you using them on pavement with snow on it, or off road over logs and big rocks and stumps and such?(you mentioned hills in your other post, gravity can add down force when sliding backwards down a slick slope and sudden traction on a chain can for sure possibly cause it to be torn off or worse)
all things have there limits and weak links , but yes adding chain will add traction

same as screw in studs for tracks, but also keep in mind using studs or chains,m can also damage the surfaces there run on, as in damaging pavement/concrete and likes!

so, like everything else , a lot depends on what your asking the machine, tracks, chains to do!
not every tool is right for the job , even with mods!, so have to be honest and ask what your looking to do and or need it to do!

OP
OP
O

OhioFarmer

If I get ice on my driveway, I would prefer to use Bobcat with cab vs my open cab tractor! I also do hillside work where I get a lot of slippage and having improved traction would be helpful.

mrbb

If I get ice on my driveway, I would prefer to use Bobcat with cab vs my open cab tractor! I also do hillside work where I get a lot of slippage and having improved traction would be helpful.
well chains will for sure help in both ice and snow, but they also might damage your driveway surface

and when you say on hillsides, do you mean off camber, steep slopes or?? mild slopes?
as skid steers honestly are not that great on hills, there IMO< mostly meant for working on level ground, can get dangerous, when using on hills and off camber , as lifting boom and or other things(logs stumps, buckets, forks and so on) can make them tippy
which is why I asked,
for hills, longer wider wheel based machines always work better
but again in mud, or on dirt chains will make a noticeable difference in traction
and as also stated, the TYPE of track alone will make a difference
what works good in dirt mud, WON"T work well in snow or on ice!
many folks that use tracked machines for snow removal, have winter tracks used ONLY for plowing, due to how much better they work on snow and ice as to dirt tracks
draw back, would be costs and time to swap tracks
snow tracks also wear out faster than dirt tracks if used all yr, which is again why many save them for snow work only! or mild use yr round!

OP
OP
O

OhioFarmer

Thank you, this was helpful and yes, I am careful on hills, go straight up and down and don't have an elevated load.

mrbb

also, food for thought for you, but they do sell screw in studs for tracks that can be a help on ice/snow, they might still damage surface, but they can also be removed when snow season is over, there not a huge difference, but are a noticeable one on ice and compacted snow

never tried them in mud, so no help there, but doubt they would be much help in mud as to ice

Latest posts