Chain case oil

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Chandler

Which do you prefer in the chain case? Hydraulic oil or motor oil? Or does it matter? I've read where some people use either one but just wondered which one was better.

OldMachinist

I really don't think it matters in the chaincase. Some guys even use their drained oil from the hydraulics in the chaincase as long as it wasn't milky.

Tazza

Staff member
I really don't think it matters in the chaincase. Some guys even use their drained oil from the hydraulics in the chaincase as long as it wasn't milky.
I would use motor oil, its just that little bit thicker. But as mentioned, others use their old out from the hydraulics instead of dumping it. As long as its fresh, it will do the job. Nothing inside there does any great speeds.

OP
OP
C

Chandler

I would use motor oil, its just that little bit thicker. But as mentioned, others use their old out from the hydraulics instead of dumping it. As long as its fresh, it will do the job. Nothing inside there does any great speeds.
Is it okay to use a heavier oil or an additive in the summer, especially since I have a rear axle seal thats leaking.