Cat 242d smoking intermittently

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bdavis

I have a 2015 cat 242d with 3200 hours on it. It runs awesome most of the time but then all of a sudden it will start smoking excessively. Once when it was idling the engine rpms revved and it started smoking.....tonight when I was using b it for snow it was running fine, no smoke at all, then 20 min into it it started smoking excessively. No alarms or anything on the display. This is my first D series machine and I was wondering if it did a regen but I don't believe it does because it doesn't use DEF fluid. Any ideas whet could be causing this intermittent heavy smoke? Thanks

knogen

It is regening. Should not have smoke. At 3000 hrs dpf should be getting close to time to have it cleaned Also make sure crank case breather filter is changed And that the heater for breather hose works

OP
OP
B

bdavis

It is regening. Should not have smoke. At 3000 hrs dpf should be getting close to time to have it cleaned Also make sure crank case breather filter is changed And that the heater for breather hose works
Thanks for your advice. I will check into those tomorrow. I just got the machine a few weeks ago. Does my machine have DEF fluid ? I don't see any fill for it. Can you also tell me best way to check if the heats for the breather hose is working? Thanks!!!

OP
OP
B

bdavis

Thanks for your advice. I will check into those tomorrow. I just got the machine a few weeks ago. Does my machine have DEF fluid ? I don't see any fill for it. Can you also tell me best way to check if the heats for the breather hose is working? Thanks!!!
So upon further investigation, the previous owner disconnected the crank case hose coming out of the valve cover and just ran it down the engine bay and into the engine compartment. When the machine is running, there is not an excessive amount of air coming from the hose. Any ideas why this is set up this way? Should I reconnect it? Should i just bring it to CAT and have them look at and diagnose. I also saw in the "Event" history on the display board a warning from before saying "not sufficient something or other....unable to regen....use service tool to do a manual regen" Any continued help is greatly appreciated

knogen

So upon further investigation, the previous owner disconnected the crank case hose coming out of the valve cover and just ran it down the engine bay and into the engine compartment. When the machine is running, there is not an excessive amount of air coming from the hose. Any ideas why this is set up this way? Should I reconnect it? Should i just bring it to CAT and have them look at and diagnose. I also saw in the "Event" history on the display board a warning from before saying "not sufficient something or other....unable to regen....use service tool to do a manual regen" Any continued help is greatly appreciated
Only 299d2 & 272d2 use def on cat skid steer In cold weather crank case breather can freeze and dump oil into turbo.and engine runs away.that is probably why it is disconnected If you don't have any codes active. Should not be a problem I would hook it back like is is supposed to be. As long as it has the heater in the line

OP
OP
B

bdavis

Only 299d2 & 272d2 use def on cat skid steer In cold weather crank case breather can freeze and dump oil into turbo.and engine runs away.that is probably why it is disconnected If you don't have any codes active. Should not be a problem I would hook it back like is is supposed to be. As long as it has the heater in the line
I hate to sound so green but you really seem Gronk joe your stuff. Can you v tell me where I can find the breather and how can Bi I tell if the heater is working? Thanks. I really napped Kate your knowledge.

OP
OP
B

bdavis

I hate to sound so green but you really seem Gronk joe your stuff. Can you v tell me where I can find the breather and how can Bi I tell if the heater is working? Thanks. I really napped Kate your knowledge.
Sorry so full of typos. I'll try again. I hate to sound so green but you really seem to know your stuff. Can you tell me where I can find the breather filter and how can I tell if the heater is working? Thanks so much I appreciate your knowledge

knogen

Sorry so full of typos. I'll try again. I hate to sound so green but you really seem to know your stuff. Can you tell me where I can find the breather filter and how can I tell if the heater is working? Thanks so much I appreciate your knowledge
Breather is on right side standing behind looking at engine. heater is a tee in the breather hose with 2 wires going to.check with dvm check continuity Breather filter is on bottom of canister.up under turbo towards firewall Will see if I can get pic

OP
OP
B

bdavis

Breather is on right side standing behind looking at engine. heater is a tee in the breather hose with 2 wires going to.check with dvm check continuity Breather filter is on bottom of canister.up under turbo towards firewall Will see if I can get pic
That would be great. Thanks !!!!

OP
OP
B

bdavis

You may have injector leaking or turbo leaking. Check your engine oil for dilution, or low level.
Thanks, I did what the other people posted above and it stopped for a while but just started doing it again yesterday....used it for about 2 hours no problem, then just suddenly started smoking....shut off and restarted and it was gone. I will try and check what you suggested. Thanks