Case SR250 lighting problems

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JP Services

I am having some work light problems with my 2011 SR250. The light switch tested good but I the lights wont come on like they are suppose to in the designated switch positions. What should I be looking for and testing? Thanks Matt

Tazza

Staff member
Could it be a fuse or relay?
I know some setups use relays so the switch doesn't need to carry as much current.

OP
OP
J

JP Services

Could it be a fuse or relay?
I know some setups use relays so the switch doesn't need to carry as much current.
I have checked all the fuses and they are good. We have plans to check/replace the relays this weekend if we get a chance to look at it.

Tazza

Staff member
It turned out to be a very simple fix. I replaced both the light relays and everything works as it should now.
Glad it was easy.
I always thought of a relay being one of the toughest electrical part, but i guess they get moisture in them and fail over time.

OP
OP
J

JP Services

Things seemed to be fixed for a period of time until the other day the lights quit again. This time under further inspection it appears it has burnt the relay up and the red power wire in the main wiring harness for this relay. This will not be an easy or fun fix. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Tazza

Staff member
Things seemed to be fixed for a period of time until the other day the lights quit again. This time under further inspection it appears it has burnt the relay up and the red power wire in the main wiring harness for this relay. This will not be an easy or fun fix. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Poor connections could cause heat, this in theory, could melt wires. Something sounds like it's drawing too much power, but the fuse shoudl have popped preventing the wire melting and possible fire....

OP
OP
J

JP Services

Poor connections could cause heat, this in theory, could melt wires. Something sounds like it's drawing too much power, but the fuse shoudl have popped preventing the wire melting and possible fire....
I found the problem. The burnt wire had grounded out just behind the fuse box on a screw head that it was rubbing on. Pulling the wire out and removing the loom was not fun, but its fixed and everything works as it should again.

Tazza

Staff member
I found the problem. The burnt wire had grounded out just behind the fuse box on a screw head that it was rubbing on. Pulling the wire out and removing the loom was not fun, but its fixed and everything works as it should again.
Glad you found it. It is quite common for wires to wear through where they touch the frame, i wonder how many fires are caused when they short out on the non fused side of the harness.....