Case 440

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Acfroese

Goodmorning
My friend has a case 440 tire machine and when he drives it at an idle the one side drives very intermittently and to get it going you kind of have to work the drive lever then when you rev the engine up it Jerks and wants to stop.
The interesting thing is that when it does work and not mess up ot drives perfectly straight. And both sides have full power WHEN they do work. It seams to me that's its not a failing drive motor but I am interested in your thoughts could it be the park brake on one side?

I am very interested innyour thoughts

Ster1

I believe that machine has safety switches in the bar and the seat. Maybe start with those. There should also be a solenoid that activates the brakes, and a relay that runs the solenoid. The easiest way to check that might be to back probe the wires at the solenoid or pierce the wires, or find a way to sample the voltage at the solenoid, and watch it with a voltmeter. If you see voltage at the same time the machine is misbehaving, at least you've identified the issue.

OP
OP
A

Acfroese

I believe that machine has safety switches in the bar and the seat. Maybe start with those. There should also be a solenoid that activates the brakes, and a relay that runs the solenoid. The easiest way to check that might be to back probe the wires at the solenoid or pierce the wires, or find a way to sample the voltage at the solenoid, and watch it with a voltmeter. If you see voltage at the same time the machine is misbehaving, at least you've identified the issue.
Wow Thankyou so much for the tips. I will try those tips

WGW

I'm more familiar with the previous models but if the machine is still uses linkages for control I would look at the rod end joints and check sector shaft where it exits the pump/control assembly. Any movement there will be a possible cause. There is a bearing under the seal and and if it's good there will be zero sideways movement. Parts are cheap and job is fairly easy.