Case 1840 hydraulic fluid leaking into gear box

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rockman

I bought a used 1840 case 1994 decent shape but after using it for awhile i noticed a leak, so i took it to a dealer and they told me its leaking is most likely leaking from my hydraulic motors and would replace both for 5000. I dont want to put that much into it and was wondering if there was anything out there that you can add to recondition the seals or could i buy and replace motors my self............please help. Thanks rockman.

thetool

I don't know of any additive to stop hydraulic leaks.
$5k sounds like a worst-case bid--IF it's both motors and IF they can't be simply resealed.
Of course you can do the work yourself. I suggest getting a manual first. Check out Ebay or other sources on the net. I believe Case wants about $300 for theirs.
Good Luck

Tazza

Staff member
I don't know of any additive to stop hydraulic leaks.
$5k sounds like a worst-case bid--IF it's both motors and IF they can't be simply resealed.
Of course you can do the work yourself. I suggest getting a manual first. Check out Ebay or other sources on the net. I believe Case wants about $300 for theirs.
Good Luck
These motors were known to leak, its a seal issue. You can replace the seals but i heard they will blow again, the only true fix is to replace the motors, hense the 5k. Case knows about this problem!
If it really bothers you, change the seals and see how you go. Cheaper to swap seals every so often than 5k on new motors.