Case 1830

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Hotrod1830

Hey all. New here. Name is Brad. I recently got a case 1830. It wasnt running when I got it. Drive pump was out. got it fixed, other side went out shortly after :eek:/. Anyway, I have gotten it going again and have put some hours on it. When this thing is running at idle, you can hear and feel a "hum" from the hydros. Seems to be coming from the hydraulic pump. I was getting a little foam and thought I found the source, which was a loose suction hose. Foam seems to be gone now, though I havent ran it for very long since. Other thing I noticed is the hydrostatic drive is very noisey when turning or a decent load is on it. I have never owned a skid steer, only rented bobcats. I dont remember any of them being this noisey. Can any Case owners shed some light as to what kind of noises are normal on these things? The noise has remained unchanged since I have had it running (both times) maybe normal? Running Hy-tran ultra fluid. New filter. I Disassembled and flushed the best I could. I am actually very pleased overall with this little machine. Even being a little low on power, it digs pretty well. Brad

tnt6060

Hi brad I cant speak about your 1830 but i have a early 80s hydra- mac it is very noise as well had it over two years hasent gotten any worse . some times i put hearing protection on then it sounds just fine. good luck tom

OP
OP
H

Hotrod1830

Hi brad I cant speak about your 1830 but i have a early 80s hydra- mac it is very noise as well had it over two years hasent gotten any worse . some times i put hearing protection on then it sounds just fine. good luck tom
Thanks Tom. Yeah, mine is loud enough that I also have to wear hearing protection to work comfortably. I am hoping it is OK. I am just a little gun shy after having to rebuild both drive pumps. I dont need anymore big money failures like that.

dmhdaz

Thanks Tom. Yeah, mine is loud enough that I also have to wear hearing protection to work comfortably. I am hoping it is OK. I am just a little gun shy after having to rebuild both drive pumps. I dont need anymore big money failures like that.
Hi there Brad, what was wrong with your pumps that they had to be rebuilt, my left pump is not working, looks like there is a common issue with the 1830's. As far as noisy, mine moans and groans and us noisy under load, but it is old.

OP
OP
H

Hotrod1830

Hi there Brad, what was wrong with your pumps that they had to be rebuilt, my left pump is not working, looks like there is a common issue with the 1830's. As far as noisy, mine moans and groans and us noisy under load, but it is old.
The rotating groups failed on both pumps. Both times it destroyed the swash plate. If you rebuild one pump, disassemble and inspect the other as well, as it likely has the same amount of wear.