Case 1830 wheel bearing and sprocket adjustment help.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ken21660

I'm getting ready to install new wheel bearings, races and seals in my 1830. Can someone run me through the adjusting procedure, I read the manual but it doesn't give you a lot of detail. I want to make sure I shim the sprocket right and don't have the bearings too tight. Thank you

walio123

The bearings must be tight so that there is no free play on shaft. Tighten them so that there is no free play and when turning the shaft not to feel as if the bearing counts the rollers .

Hotrod1830

If you have ever installed front wheel bearings on an older vehicle that used tapered roller bearings, it is basicly the same concept, except you are using shims. Zero to a couple thousandths of play is desired. If they are too tight, make sure the bearing races are seated fully before changing shims.(no burrs/dirt) The original shim will almost always be correct unless someone changed it.
I used the original shims on my old 1830. didnt check them during, just cleaned the hubs, installed new bearings, races and seals, packed them with grease and reassembled. Bearing play was correct on all hubs without changing spacers.
be sure to pack them with grease before assembly. DO NOT try to use the grease zerk on the hub to grease them initially, as you will push the new seal out.

OP
OP
K

ken21660

If you have ever installed front wheel bearings on an older vehicle that used tapered roller bearings, it is basicly the same concept, except you are using shims. Zero to a couple thousandths of play is desired. If they are too tight, make sure the bearing races are seated fully before changing shims.(no burrs/dirt) The original shim will almost always be correct unless someone changed it.
I used the original shims on my old 1830. didnt check them during, just cleaned the hubs, installed new bearings, races and seals, packed them with grease and reassembled. Bearing play was correct on all hubs without changing spacers.
be sure to pack them with grease before assembly. DO NOT try to use the grease zerk on the hub to grease them initially, as you will push the new seal out.
Thank you both for the help, everything is rebuilt and back together.

Latest posts