Case 1818

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

pogo

I'm back! Almost 2-1/2 years ago I got frustrated and sold my Case 1816 that I had for 27 or so years..Every time I had to move something heavy I sure missed the little 1816! I realized I had made a mistake so I fixed it by buying a 1818, will be here Wednesday and a new manual will follow..I hope its as good as the seller claims! About 2200 hrs, shouldn't be too worn; I hope..

Tazza

Staff member
Isn't that always the way? You think you don't need one anymore, but as soon as the back breaking work comes around, you sure wished you still had it.
I hope you enjoy your new to you machine.

OP
OP
P

pogo

Isn't that always the way? You think you don't need one anymore, but as soon as the back breaking work comes around, you sure wished you still had it.
I hope you enjoy your new to you machine.
Tazza glad you still here! You are entirely right..Thanks for the well wish..

Tazza

Staff member
I'm never too far away, it may take me a few days to get to look at the forum due to life gettng in the way but i'm always coming back :)

OP
OP
P

pogo

The 1818 arrived today perched precariously on the tail end of a looong flatbed trailer cross ways...I spun it around and drove it down some ramps, damn that trailer was high! Any steeper and probably would have done a somersault on to the Rops...Didn't spend too much time looking at machine as I caught cold [I guess] a week ago and still not feeling awfully well but I got it parked in my yard...I thought my 1816 was packed tite but a 20 yr or so newer 1818 is really packed tite, like 7 lbs in a 5 lb bag, even the driver's area is tighter with the OSHA controls...Definitely needs new tires and the general going over..Manual should be here by Saturday so I will see how things are supposed to work..

OP
OP
P

pogo

The 1818 arrived today perched precariously on the tail end of a looong flatbed trailer cross ways...I spun it around and drove it down some ramps, damn that trailer was high! Any steeper and probably would have done a somersault on to the Rops...Didn't spend too much time looking at machine as I caught cold [I guess] a week ago and still not feeling awfully well but I got it parked in my yard...I thought my 1816 was packed tite but a 20 yr or so newer 1818 is really packed tite, like 7 lbs in a 5 lb bag, even the driver's area is tighter with the OSHA controls...Definitely needs new tires and the general going over..Manual should be here by Saturday so I will see how things are supposed to work..
I have finally got a whole bunch of stuff out of the way [including a vacation!] and have all the manuals and parts lists for my 1818 and am going to start fixing issues..I was going to do the work outside but do to the over 90° weather I will squeeze it into my 72° work shop..Most of the issues are hyd hoses that need to be replaced.. They are #6 with standard various 37° pic/0-ring or pipe ends..Any one have a favorite supplier? I found Hoseandfittings.com that will make them up to suit..A hose with 90° and a strait standard 37° fittings at 14" long would be $25.00 plus shipping; is that ok? Haven't checked local yet..

Tazza

Staff member
I have finally got a whole bunch of stuff out of the way [including a vacation!] and have all the manuals and parts lists for my 1818 and am going to start fixing issues..I was going to do the work outside but do to the over 90° weather I will squeeze it into my 72° work shop..Most of the issues are hyd hoses that need to be replaced.. They are #6 with standard various 37° pic/0-ring or pipe ends..Any one have a favorite supplier? I found Hoseandfittings.com that will make them up to suit..A hose with 90° and a strait standard 37° fittings at 14" long would be $25.00 plus shipping; is that ok? Haven't checked local yet..
That price seems pretty reasonable to me. I know a guy that got a drive motor one done, it was $150!
Persoanlly, i'd like to find a shop you can take them in to and get them copied, that way you know for sure, that they are right. Nothing worse than a hose that is just a little too short.

OP
OP
P

pogo

That price seems pretty reasonable to me. I know a guy that got a drive motor one done, it was $150!
Persoanlly, i'd like to find a shop you can take them in to and get them copied, that way you know for sure, that they are right. Nothing worse than a hose that is just a little too short.
Well its been a long summer!! I discovered a hose place about three miles from me which worked out ok, replaced all 17..One leaked at crimp so took it back for easy replace ..I replaced all rod ends and linkage shaft bushings which I made adjustable for wear..Ball bearings replaced bushings in the hand levers. Added some mechanical gauges and new tires and paint..I had to remove engine to get at some hoses so while it was out I checked out all the specs; valve adjustment , timing, new spark plugs and wires.. I separated crankcase to replace gasket, repaired re-attached all the shrouds..Replaced weeping seals at the hyd pumps, new drive belts. Having some decals made locally..Even made up some new lug nuts, chrome acorn style, pretty spiffy..So now other than some lights and a fan it is operational..The engine is a Onan P218..It will not start if throttle is open above idle position, choke or not..In cool weather starting at above idle speed is needed do to drag of oil being thick..Once running at idle and warmed some it goes to more open throttle position with no issue and has good power..Very strange; opposite of the norm..Any thoughts?

OP
OP
P

pogo

Well its been a long summer!! I discovered a hose place about three miles from me which worked out ok, replaced all 17..One leaked at crimp so took it back for easy replace ..I replaced all rod ends and linkage shaft bushings which I made adjustable for wear..Ball bearings replaced bushings in the hand levers. Added some mechanical gauges and new tires and paint..I had to remove engine to get at some hoses so while it was out I checked out all the specs; valve adjustment , timing, new spark plugs and wires.. I separated crankcase to replace gasket, repaired re-attached all the shrouds..Replaced weeping seals at the hyd pumps, new drive belts. Having some decals made locally..Even made up some new lug nuts, chrome acorn style, pretty spiffy..So now other than some lights and a fan it is operational..The engine is a Onan P218..It will not start if throttle is open above idle position, choke or not..In cool weather starting at above idle speed is needed do to drag of oil being thick..Once running at idle and warmed some it goes to more open throttle position with no issue and has good power..Very strange; opposite of the norm..Any thoughts?
I guess starting at closed throttle is the way its supposed to start; at least thats what the manual says to do: Close throttle apply choke and start..So far that works, we'll see how well in could weather...I am curious about hyd flow routing..After the oil goes through the hyd filter it goes to a manifold that has two outlets, one to the oil cooler and then on to hyd lift control valve and one to the oil tank..Curious as to what determines how much oil goes where...??

Nm505

I guess starting at closed throttle is the way its supposed to start; at least thats what the manual says to do: Close throttle apply choke and start..So far that works, we'll see how well in could weather...I am curious about hyd flow routing..After the oil goes through the hyd filter it goes to a manifold that has two outlets, one to the oil cooler and then on to hyd lift control valve and one to the oil tank..Curious as to what determines how much oil goes where...??
Does any body know if the motored in the case 1818 are rebuildable I'm thinking of buying one but the guy that is selling it says it smokes bad

Nm505

Does any body know if the motor in the case 1818 are rebuildable I'm thinking of buying one but the guy that is selling it says it smokes bad

Tazza

Staff member
Does any body know if the motor in the case 1818 are rebuildable I'm thinking of buying one but the guy that is selling it says it smokes bad
Motors should all be able to be rebuilt. I don't believe case use their own branded motors, so parts should be available, it just depends on the price.
Doesn't always mean the motor is worn, it could be injectors, air filter, turbo (if fitted).

OP
OP
P

pogo

I finally finished up the rebuild/restore on my 1818 a couple weeks ago; been cleaning the garage since! Took a few pics but don't see how to get them on here....

Tazza

Staff member
I finally finished up the rebuild/restore on my 1818 a couple weeks ago; been cleaning the garage since! Took a few pics but don't see how to get them on here....
For the best images, you can host them on a third party site like tinypic and post a link to them on here.

OP
OP
P

pogo

For the best images, you can host them on a third party site like tinypic and post a link to them on here.
I tried Tinypic but got hacked so afraid to go back..Is there another host I can try?

OP
OP
P

pogo

I tried Tinypic but got hacked so afraid to go back..Is there another host I can try?
I think I got into flicker..So hopefully here are pics..C:\Users\sebastian\Downloads\20190307750f6c036e73f4e139f42596d3d04c6565c0be642689d1d18d7b07df320a3a6c.zip.

OP
OP
P

pogo

I think I got into flicker..So hopefully here are pics..C:\Users\sebastian\Downloads\20190307750f6c036e73f4e139f42596d3d04c6565c0be642689d1d18d7b07df320a3a6c.zip.
Trying again..C:\Users\sebastian\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\HCLZ6B3E\img_0513_46590469604_o[1].jpg

OP
OP
P

pogo

Trying again..C:\Users\sebastian\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\HCLZ6B3E\img_0513_46590469604_o[1].jpg
C:\Users\sebastian\Downloads\20190307750f6c036e73f4e139f42596d3d04c6565c0be642689d1d18d7b07df320a3a6c (2).zip

Latest posts