case 1816 rear axle repair

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ckid_64

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how to take the rear axle off of my case 1816.here is what happen ...the plate that holds the tire on broke off the axle just wondering if i have to take the engine out to get to the bolt or can you weld the plate back on without taking the axle off ,if you would be sitting in the seat it would be the right rear axle.Help!!!!

too old 4 this

it's a tight area! I can't get my hand back there from the top. I snapped the chains and replaced all of them and had to cut access holes on the side to get into the chain wells. After replacing all the chains, drive gear and adding all new tires, I promptly snapped one of the front chains! Fixed that and then later the left front axle snapped off. The axles look at though they are welded into the wheel hub and not a real good welding job. Looks to be a "weak link" and mine cracked around the weld. I thought about rewelding, but don't feel I can get a weld where the wheel is true. On the rear, removing the engine doesn't give you a straight shot at it, as the axle is lower and towards the front of the engine. You would have to remove some of the hoses and pumps etc to get a clear path to it. I would pay good money to see them assemble one! To replace the axle & hub (which is one part #, bearings and sprocket would cost about $800.00 in parts. Hoober has the parts available. Case doesn't list the parts any more, but they still make them as they are packaged with their name on it. Either way you go, it's a b*tch! Good luck! (if misery loves company, I going down that road this summer as I can't find anyone who can do the repair.) (a good investment would be a set manuals that will set you back about $80.00)