BUSH HOG CONVERSION

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

hawg wild

I have been looking at the RHINO LJ60 rotary brush cutter. I was wondering what a feller would have to do to convert this item to run off of skidsteer hydraulics? I am sure this is possible, but is it worth it? I have seen some of the adapter plates with hydraulic motors to use 3 point hitch implements, but they seem a little expensive. I don't think i would have any need to use any other tractor style implements, and besides I dont think the center links and pins would hold up to the abuse that they might take while try to push down brush going into the mower. I think I would like to be able to attach a quick attach plate to the mower, and make it an idependent attachment. All I want to have to do is hook up to it, plug up my hydraulic lines, and go to work. I am sure someone here has done this. What has been your experiences, good and bad.

Mr Jimi

I just looked at the unit you described? yikes! Did you see the weight of this? 1650 pounds? and sticking in front even more? You must have a serious skid steer to move that.
I am looking at doing something close to that and I am looking at a Bush Hog 286 that weighs over 950 pounds and will cut 2 inch brush plus I will make a plate with a hydraulic motor that will drive the PTO shaft, about another 500 pounds? Thats 1500 pounds in front and extending out a bunch? I don't know if my Case 1845C ( 60 HP ) will be able to handle it?
Keep us posted, some of the guys here have made their own with real good results
Jim

skidsteer.ca

I just looked at the unit you described? yikes! Did you see the weight of this? 1650 pounds? and sticking in front even more? You must have a serious skid steer to move that.
I am looking at doing something close to that and I am looking at a Bush Hog 286 that weighs over 950 pounds and will cut 2 inch brush plus I will make a plate with a hydraulic motor that will drive the PTO shaft, about another 500 pounds? Thats 1500 pounds in front and extending out a bunch? I don't know if my Case 1845C ( 60 HP ) will be able to handle it?
Keep us posted, some of the guys here have made their own with real good results
Jim
That is one problem I see with useing the powered adapter plate to 3 point hitch is the length in front getting greater. My converted kingkutter.com is a light duty one and probably only weights 800 lbs. My 553 can carry this farely well, but does not have the pump to really spin it up. The biggest thing I have found wrong with mine is the deck and front "crazy wheel" are not strrong enough. Both have been reinforced, and still need to be babyed . My brusher floats up and down at the Quick Attach plate, but a system like the brushcat that moves the float point forward to the center of the brusher would be better. Also a wide front roller would be better then a narrow front wheel. I have be thinking of adding a large front tire (like a 10 by 16.5) because the short wheel in not tall enough to jump over the bumps, sticks and stumps that often hide in the jobsite. The motor gear box and blade system has been pretty good, my only complaint is with the lovejoy coupling between the motor and gear box (I have no pto shaft, motor dirrect to gear box) It a L110 size and the rubbers pound out in 12 to 20 hrs
Ken

OP
OP
H

hawg wild

That is one problem I see with useing the powered adapter plate to 3 point hitch is the length in front getting greater. My converted kingkutter.com is a light duty one and probably only weights 800 lbs. My 553 can carry this farely well, but does not have the pump to really spin it up. The biggest thing I have found wrong with mine is the deck and front "crazy wheel" are not strrong enough. Both have been reinforced, and still need to be babyed . My brusher floats up and down at the Quick Attach plate, but a system like the brushcat that moves the float point forward to the center of the brusher would be better. Also a wide front roller would be better then a narrow front wheel. I have be thinking of adding a large front tire (like a 10 by 16.5) because the short wheel in not tall enough to jump over the bumps, sticks and stumps that often hide in the jobsite. The motor gear box and blade system has been pretty good, my only complaint is with the lovejoy coupling between the motor and gear box (I have no pto shaft, motor dirrect to gear box) It a L110 size and the rubbers pound out in 12 to 20 hrs
Ken
What type, and how big of a motor did you have to use?. Do you have the motor mounted to the deck of the brusher? How did you connect the brusher to the quick attach plate? Is that enough questions? Oh wait, one more. Couldn't you take the front wheel off? The brush wolf, and brush cats do not have wheels in the front. It won't be often that i will be qualified enough to give advice here on this site, but maybe i can help you with the lovejoy problem. I am a parts buyer for a hardwood flooring manufacture. We have a lot of hydraulic driven equipment here, and several other types of equipment that require different types of couplings. There are hundreds of different types of mechanical couplings. A grid flex coupling might be better suited to your application. Go to your local power transmission supplier (bearing house) such as Applied or Motion, or any other dealer in your area. They will have catalog after catalog with couplings in them. A simpler solution that they will also be able to help you with would be to get a differnt type of spyder (rubber insert). We use the L110 size lovejoys in a few applications here, but we use a hytrel insert instead of rubber. The hytrel insert will be cream in color it is a much more durable material. You can get the lovejoy inserts made out of all different types of material. We have one application here that calls for a bronze insert. You may already know all of this, but if not hopefully this will help.

skidsteer.ca

What type, and how big of a motor did you have to use?. Do you have the motor mounted to the deck of the brusher? How did you connect the brusher to the quick attach plate? Is that enough questions? Oh wait, one more. Couldn't you take the front wheel off? The brush wolf, and brush cats do not have wheels in the front. It won't be often that i will be qualified enough to give advice here on this site, but maybe i can help you with the lovejoy problem. I am a parts buyer for a hardwood flooring manufacture. We have a lot of hydraulic driven equipment here, and several other types of equipment that require different types of couplings. There are hundreds of different types of mechanical couplings. A grid flex coupling might be better suited to your application. Go to your local power transmission supplier (bearing house) such as Applied or Motion, or any other dealer in your area. They will have catalog after catalog with couplings in them. A simpler solution that they will also be able to help you with would be to get a differnt type of spyder (rubber insert). We use the L110 size lovejoys in a few applications here, but we use a hytrel insert instead of rubber. The hytrel insert will be cream in color it is a much more durable material. You can get the lovejoy inserts made out of all different types of material. We have one application here that calls for a bronze insert. You may already know all of this, but if not hopefully this will help.
Hawg
send me a email to [email protected]
I'll email you my ph #. There is too much to talk about here for the speed I type.
I'm gone during the week till late oct, mid nov, but will try to set up a time we can talk and I can email you some pics of what I have, and tell you the good and bad points I have found.
Ken

Latest posts