Bronze filter trouble..

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Onemancrew

Hello, this is my last resort... I've been trying to find location of bronze filter on a 743b... I have the manual for a 743 bit not 743b, it says on the left of port block under cab... Trouble is the port block isn't in the location the manual says?.? It seems to be bolted to the right of the actual chassis in between engine and body...? It's all covered in shit I cleaned it off a bit but i still can't seem to find it? The bobcat filter reference guide has two 743b serials, a part number for hydraulic bronze filter for one but not the other?? I'm very confused... Can anyone help? Does a 743b even have one at all?

Tazza

Staff member
I don't believe it has a filter, or if it does, it's not hidden.
Trace the case drain hoses from the drive motors, look for aluminium cans in line, these are case drain filters. If there aren't any, it doesn't have any.
Are you having issues that make you think that case drain filters are an issue?

OP
OP
O

Onemancrew

I don't believe it has a filter, or if it does, it's not hidden.
Trace the case drain hoses from the drive motors, look for aluminium cans in line, these are case drain filters. If there aren't any, it doesn't have any.
Are you having issues that make you think that case drain filters are an issue?
Ahh ok, thanks. I'm not having any specific trouble except I attached a backhoe that wasn't used for years and it had a blown seal full of water... I stupidly hooked it up and got milky hydraulic oil... I just want to change all filters and new oil for routine maintenance. Thank very much for reply..

OP
OP
O

Onemancrew

Ahh ok, thanks. I'm not having any specific trouble except I attached a backhoe that wasn't used for years and it had a blown seal full of water... I stupidly hooked it up and got milky hydraulic oil... I just want to change all filters and new oil for routine maintenance. Thank very much for reply..
I wonder why the guy at dealership spare parts didn't tell that it doesn't have one... On another note, I drive an S150 at work, the 4in1 bucket opens and shuts very snappy and fast... I noticed the bucket on my 743b doesn't have the same snap or speed... Does that mean I could have problem with hydraulics or are the older machines a bit slower in that department?

Tazza

Staff member
I wonder why the guy at dealership spare parts didn't tell that it doesn't have one... On another note, I drive an S150 at work, the 4in1 bucket opens and shuts very snappy and fast... I noticed the bucket on my 743b doesn't have the same snap or speed... Does that mean I could have problem with hydraulics or are the older machines a bit slower in that department?
I have had a machine with water in it, i drained all the oil i could out the aux couplers, shut down, re-filled, drained the filter and ran it again to get the oil all around, then dump, repeat till the oil is clean then install a new filter.
The spare parts guy may not know, i guess they mostly deal with newer machines?
The speed of the bucket opening and closing could be a few things. The 743 will have about 11gpm of flow, the S150 would be about 16gpm. Now, hoses can also change that. I had a machine with smaller holes in the fittings on the hoses, open/close speed was reduced. So there are a few things that can change the speed.

OP
OP
O

Onemancrew

I have had a machine with water in it, i drained all the oil i could out the aux couplers, shut down, re-filled, drained the filter and ran it again to get the oil all around, then dump, repeat till the oil is clean then install a new filter.
The spare parts guy may not know, i guess they mostly deal with newer machines?
The speed of the bucket opening and closing could be a few things. The 743 will have about 11gpm of flow, the S150 would be about 16gpm. Now, hoses can also change that. I had a machine with smaller holes in the fittings on the hoses, open/close speed was reduced. So there are a few things that can change the speed.
Ok, thanks, so I just activate aux with hoses disconnected till no more oil comes out? Or should I not let it run dry? Funny thing is that the spare parts guy actually rang the mechanic to verify... Lol The speed of bucket isn't that bad it's just not as fast as the s150 so I guess it's just down down that extre bit of flow... Although I will will check my hoses just to be.. Lol thanks for your help Tazza. Much appreciated.

OP
OP
O

Onemancrew

Ok, thanks, so I just activate aux with hoses disconnected till no more oil comes out? Or should I not let it run dry? Funny thing is that the spare parts guy actually rang the mechanic to verify... Lol The speed of bucket isn't that bad it's just not as fast as the s150 so I guess it's just down down that extre bit of flow... Although I will will check my hoses just to be.. Lol thanks for your help Tazza. Much appreciated.
.? I put my post in paragraphs but it all comes out squashed together? Is it because I'm posting off iPad?

Tazza

Staff member
.? I put my post in paragraphs but it all comes out squashed together? Is it because I'm posting off iPad?
When i pump the oil out, i run the machine at idle, and when it starts spitting, i shut it down. You will never get all the oil out, but you can get most of it.
As for the formatting, it will be because you are using an Ipad, the forum software doesn't play nice with anything other than internet explorer.

[email protected]

When i pump the oil out, i run the machine at idle, and when it starts spitting, i shut it down. You will never get all the oil out, but you can get most of it.
As for the formatting, it will be because you are using an Ipad, the forum software doesn't play nice with anything other than internet explorer.
that is true, to be honest i'd love to get everyone to pitch in to upgrade these forums to something better, this is like 1996 technology and really kinda sucks haha. maybe someday we could get it done.