boosting an LS120

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ponyboy123

Baterry was dead on my 2001 LS 120 the other day so I boosted it with another piece of machinery. Now it seems as though the charge system may have died. Either that or the battery is totally gone. Any tricks involved in boosting these little work horses? How much of a pain in the butt is it to change the alternator/regulator on these? Where is it? Any and all advise appreciated. Thanks.

skidsteer.ca

Never seen the inside of the engine bay on one of them, can you send us a few pictures?
Upload them to www.photobucket.com or such and then copy the photo (not the link to it) and paste them here. Or email them to me or Tazza
ken at skidsteer.ca at =@ of course
Look in the faq section at the top of the page there is a link to online manuals, not sure if they have yours but worth a look.
Ken

OP
OP
P

ponyboy123

Never seen the inside of the engine bay on one of them, can you send us a few pictures?
Upload them to www.photobucket.com or such and then copy the photo (not the link to it) and paste them here. Or email them to me or Tazza
ken at skidsteer.ca at =@ of course
Look in the faq section at the top of the page there is a link to online manuals, not sure if they have yours but worth a look.
Ken
Will do skidsteer. The pics may have to wait till after I get through this wicked snowstorm. I haven't noticed too many posts on the LS 120, mostly the LS125. So far I am happy with this little machine, seems to have plenty of power but lacks a little in traction. I have a 4000 head breeding herd of mink here and these little skid steers are one of the few machines that will fit into the smaller barn doors. I am not too farmiliar with the ONAN gasoline engine, but if it gives me too much trouble I will have no problem swapping it out for a 20 HP Honda V-twin. There seems to be plenty of room in the engine bay. Thanks for your help.

skidsteer.ca

Will do skidsteer. The pics may have to wait till after I get through this wicked snowstorm. I haven't noticed too many posts on the LS 120, mostly the LS125. So far I am happy with this little machine, seems to have plenty of power but lacks a little in traction. I have a 4000 head breeding herd of mink here and these little skid steers are one of the few machines that will fit into the smaller barn doors. I am not too farmiliar with the ONAN gasoline engine, but if it gives me too much trouble I will have no problem swapping it out for a 20 HP Honda V-twin. There seems to be plenty of room in the engine bay. Thanks for your help.
Those Onans are one of the best air cooled engine mades. I have a 16 hp miller welder with one on it from 1986 and it still runs great. If i was repowering a Honda or Kolher would be high on my list as Onan parts are spendy, but it wil last 2000 plus hours from my experience.
Ken

Earthwerks Unlimited

Those Onans are one of the best air cooled engine mades. I have a 16 hp miller welder with one on it from 1986 and it still runs great. If i was repowering a Honda or Kolher would be high on my list as Onan parts are spendy, but it wil last 2000 plus hours from my experience.
Ken
Assuming you have all good connections, the belt is good and tight, you may have blown the regulator on the SS right aftyer it started due to the power coming from the charging vehicle.
But who knows it could be something simple like a bad fuse or even a bad ignition switch.