Bobcat won’t start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Vichan

So I have a bobcat 873, year 2004 or 2003 with dual hertz engine. Last time ran about 5-10 mins then suddenly stopped. I have changed the battery due to jump start failed. Fuel reading ok, checked fuel pumps everything seems ok. I talked with my mechanical, he said needs to take out the engine to check, $1200. Any suggestion on this? Cuz the machine is current stuck at my land, need another machine to take it out.

Bswwood

What exactly did you check on the fuel system? Need to crack the injector lines and see if your actually getting fuel to the injectors. You should have an electric fuel shutoff solenoid on the engine, if it is not working then it will not start. Could be a fuse or relay for the solenoid or the solenoid itself. Seems like it would be better to leave the engine in machine IMHO. Hopefully no weird noises when trying to start the engine, you also have a timing belt that could be worn, loose, or broke. Google Bobcat part # 6686715 and you will see the solenoid and hopefully get you in the right direction.

bobbie-g

What exactly did you check on the fuel system? Need to crack the injector lines and see if your actually getting fuel to the injectors. You should have an electric fuel shutoff solenoid on the engine, if it is not working then it will not start. Could be a fuse or relay for the solenoid or the solenoid itself. Seems like it would be better to leave the engine in machine IMHO. Hopefully no weird noises when trying to start the engine, you also have a timing belt that could be worn, loose, or broke. Google Bobcat part # 6686715 and you will see the solenoid and hopefully get you in the right direction.
More things that can make the Deutz engine stop running: The fuel pickup tube frequently breaks off in Bobcats. Hard to reach and replace, but it can be done. First, pump the primer bulb with the bleed screw loosened. You should get only fuel, no air out that bleeder screw. If air, then it's not picking up fuel from the tank (either low on fuel or broken pickup tube). Let us know how the fuel checks go, and several of us can pitch out other ideas. I would sure advise against pulling the engine at this point. Sounds like the guy that told you that didn't know much about what he was saying. :) ---Bobbie-G

OP
OP
V

Vichan

More things that can make the Deutz engine stop running: The fuel pickup tube frequently breaks off in Bobcats. Hard to reach and replace, but it can be done. First, pump the primer bulb with the bleed screw loosened. You should get only fuel, no air out that bleeder screw. If air, then it's not picking up fuel from the tank (either low on fuel or broken pickup tube). Let us know how the fuel checks go, and several of us can pitch out other ideas. I would sure advise against pulling the engine at this point. Sounds like the guy that told you that didn't know much about what he was saying. :) ---Bobbie-G
I did what you said cuz everyone told me it should be fuel issue, it was really cold in my land. They thought I didn't add 911 caused the problem but I actually still have the old fuel when I got fri. The previous owner, he said he added 911. I did check all the fuel place as you mentioned, loose the screw on filter. I also took off the pipe before the pump it shows the fuel runs smooth. I emptied pump as well, I can feel fuel goes though it. When the machine died, the battery died soon as well. We tried jump start but it won't work, so we replaced the battery then it will crank three times only.

farmshop

I did what you said cuz everyone told me it should be fuel issue, it was really cold in my land. They thought I didn't add 911 caused the problem but I actually still have the old fuel when I got fri. The previous owner, he said he added 911. I did check all the fuel place as you mentioned, loose the screw on filter. I also took off the pipe before the pump it shows the fuel runs smooth. I emptied pump as well, I can feel fuel goes though it. When the machine died, the battery died soon as well. We tried jump start but it won't work, so we replaced the battery then it will crank three times only.
I would verify fuel shut off solenoid is working properly

biggie

Duetze engine? What about a broken timing belt? Living in the north, I have to deal with fuel gelling. Usually if a machine stops from gelled fuel, it will slowly lose power, till it stops. And sometimes you might get it to start again, only to have it stop right away. If it suddenly stops, and not start again,that could be another issue. If it is the timing belt, it can be replaced on site , with the proper tools. Takes about an hour. If you continue to try to start it, with a broken belt, you could bend the valve push rods. Hope this helps