Bobcat T190 hard start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

CLong14

I've got a 2002 bobcat T190 skid steer it's a G series, I'm still somewhat new to bobcat machines but this machine seems to be hard to start. It's almost like it's not getting any fuel, it'll crank over no problem but when you move the hand controls forward or backwards it takes off and starts? I've never seen an issue like this and was looking for some ideas on what could be the issue, the machine has 2800 hours on it.

OP
OP
C

CLong14

weird indeed, does it do this even after the motor is warm?
Yeah it still does it but not as bad as when it's cold, I don't understand why it seems like it's starving for fuel but when you hold the joysticks forward it starts? That makes no sense to me. Any ideas for me?

Tazza

Staff member
Yeah it still does it but not as bad as when it's cold, I don't understand why it seems like it's starving for fuel but when you hold the joysticks forward it starts? That makes no sense to me. Any ideas for me?
I wonder if it could be something with the steering being out of adjustment and moving the joysticks forward takes the load off the pump allowing the motor to spin easier?
My idea of heat was if the fuel was geling or a little thicker than usual, the warmer it is, the more liquid it is and easier to pump, but you said it works the opposite.

OP
OP
C

CLong14

I wonder if it could be something with the steering being out of adjustment and moving the joysticks forward takes the load off the pump allowing the motor to spin easier?
My idea of heat was if the fuel was geling or a little thicker than usual, the warmer it is, the more liquid it is and easier to pump, but you said it works the opposite.
That does make sense, it seems like the pump is under a lot of stress until you move the joysticks then it sounds like it frees itself up. Is checking the steering adjustment something easy to do? I wonder how that would of happened, with only 2800 hours, I wouldn't think something like that would happen so soon but I guess it's possible

Tazza

Staff member
That does make sense, it seems like the pump is under a lot of stress until you move the joysticks then it sounds like it frees itself up. Is checking the steering adjustment something easy to do? I wonder how that would of happened, with only 2800 hours, I wouldn't think something like that would happen so soon but I guess it's possible
With those hours you definetly could have wear in the steering adjustment, it doesn't have to take very long to wear the stops.
I'd start it, turn the brake off, take my paws off the steering levers and see if it creeps forward. The ideal way is to have it so the tracks are off the ground too, makes you have the least resistance on them and if they move, the steering needs adjusting.
Adjustments aren't super hard to do, it can just be fiddly to get right. YOu have stops on the main drive pump where the steering levers go. I'm assuming you have mechanical linkages and hot hand (pilot) controls for this though.

OP
OP
C

CLong14

With those hours you definetly could have wear in the steering adjustment, it doesn't have to take very long to wear the stops.
I'd start it, turn the brake off, take my paws off the steering levers and see if it creeps forward. The ideal way is to have it so the tracks are off the ground too, makes you have the least resistance on them and if they move, the steering needs adjusting.
Adjustments aren't super hard to do, it can just be fiddly to get right. YOu have stops on the main drive pump where the steering levers go. I'm assuming you have mechanical linkages and hot hand (pilot) controls for this though.
I done some research on YouTube, lifted the cab up and messed with the steering linkage, as I figured everything is wore out, I took some pictures, I guess there is a seal on the top of the pump that always leaks so I'm going to replace it and those little arms that come off the shaft out of the top of the pump