Bobcat stalls

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Ddurfey

Good morning. I have a 773 bobcat that stalled out the last few times I used it. I feel like it's the pickup tube. Wanting some help confirming. Machine runs and idles fine. Had it parked and not moving for half hour over the weekend. I moved it around the property for a few minutes and then parked it again. It eventually started to rough idle, puff a little white smoke then stall. When it stalled the primer bulb is sucked flat. I have between 1/4 and 3/8 tank of fuel in it.

Thank you in advance for the help.

brdgbldr

Good morning. I have a 773 bobcat that stalled out the last few times I used it. I feel like it's the pickup tube. Wanting some help confirming. Machine runs and idles fine. Had it parked and not moving for half hour over the weekend. I moved it around the property for a few minutes and then parked it again. It eventually started to rough idle, puff a little white smoke then stall. When it stalled the primer bulb is sucked flat. I have between 1/4 and 3/8 tank of fuel in it.

Thank you in advance for the help.
Sounds your fuel pickup is clogged. It has a screen with a ball check on the end of it.

You should clean the fuel tank out since it will just keep clogging as long as it has debris in it.

The tank does have a drain plug that is accessed from a small panel under the machine.

laurencen

defiantly fuel not getting to the bulb, I would check the pickup line in the tank also the lines upto the bulb

Markle

What Laurencen said…Every bobcat I've had from that generation eventually had the plastic fuel pickup tube in the tank crack and fall off inside. Very common and is a mandatory item to rule out for your issue, stalling. The fix is easy. Let us know if that's the cause.

oiu789

Unhook the bulb and and squeeze it to make sure it works. Blow back to the tank with every low air pressure say with your mouth or a very low regulated air source. There is a check in the tank and if you use to high of pressure you will blow apart the pick up. leave the fuel cap off and listen. if you can blow back or hear bubbling then the pick up is bad. If the bulb pumps when unhooked re hook the inlet and unhook the outlet pump it and see that it pumps fuel from the tank and does stay flat. You could try this first. Which is what I would do. If it does stay flat you have plugged up pickup or line or a line pinched.

lmcl123

I second Markle and oiu789 opinions. Happened on my 753c years ago and my 763c a few months ago. the 753 broke clean off. the 763 cracked toward the top. When the fuel tank was 3/4 or better the fuel pump could overcome the air leak and run fine, when it had less fuel it stalled. Good Luck! I hope you don't have a 773G series with AHC controls, because my 773G has serious AHC computer issues that National Bobcat does not care about resolving

It is the pickup tube in the tank, at the bottom of it is a screen and it is weighted to keep it at the bottom. The screen is blocked and not allowing the fuel to enter the pick up line. The pump continues to try and suck the fuel out of the tank but since it is blocked, the bulb goes flat. This would be my guess as it has happened to me 3-4 times over 25 years. At the top of the tank is where the fuel line goes in through a rubber grommet, Pull that out and the fuel line will come out with it. I have always replaced mine with a new one from the dealer but I would imagine you could just try and clean it. The rubber grommet is a bit of a challenge to get back in, especially when it is cold out but warm it up beforehand and put a bit of grease on it and you will get it to pop back in.

brdgbldr

Here is a good video of a pickup tube replacement. It shows the proper order/procedure to reinstall the tube and grommet so you don't have to struggle so much.