Bobcat S220 Value

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

B2Blain

I am looking to buy an S220 for person use to clear gravel from property I just purchased. I found one for sale with 1,600 hours on it for around $16,000. Tires are worn. The engine was rebuilt recently. This is my first time purchasing heavy equipment. Is that a good value? Thanks!

flyerdan

That doesn't seem too far out of line; pricing depends on location, how many of the same type are available, condition, etc. Hopefully the engine has a few hours on the OH so if there was anything wrong it would have showed up.

Machinery Trader and Iron Planet can give you some ballpark numbers for similar units.

reaperman

My first reaction is the price is very good. Especially if it has a cab enclosure/heat. That normally adds $2500 to a machine. What grabs my attention is why the engine needed to be rebuilt with so few hours. That machine should have a Kubota engine which would normally go 3x that long without needing a rebuild. But things do happen. Find out who did the rebuild. As far as the tires go most likely originals but nothing out of the ordinary with the given hours.

OP
OP
B

B2Blain

My first reaction is the price is very good. Especially if it has a cab enclosure/heat. That normally adds $2500 to a machine. What grabs my attention is why the engine needed to be rebuilt with so few hours. That machine should have a Kubota engine which would normally go 3x that long without needing a rebuild. But things do happen. Find out who did the rebuild. As far as the tires go most likely originals but nothing out of the ordinary with the given hours.
The engine mount was coming off and I guess it damaged the engine. How serious is an engine rebuild?

foton

The engine mount was coming off and I guess it damaged the engine. How serious is an engine rebuild?
are you saying that the cast part of the engine block is cracking off or the bolts that hold the engine mount on are stripping out? if the block is cracking without seeing it I would say get a new block(or engine) stripped threads can be dealt with. Makes me wonder what mistreatment they did to do this?

OP
OP
B

B2Blain

are you saying that the cast part of the engine block is cracking off or the bolts that hold the engine mount on are stripping out? if the block is cracking without seeing it I would say get a new block(or engine) stripped threads can be dealt with. Makes me wonder what mistreatment they did to do this?
I believe for whatever reason the bushings came loose.