Bobcat M970(Continental motor--TURNING OVER HARD)

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

vinrum

I just rebuilt my continental F227 6 cylinder in my machine, I tried to fire it today, the starter was engaging, but the motor wasnt turning over..So I loosened the bolts that mount the motor to the Hydraulics, and the motor turned over, but it turned very slow, kinda like the battery was weak..I put a new battery in it, and it still turned over the same.. I checked the ground, and that was good...NOW, could the hydraulic system be air bound, causing it to turn over hard...I drained the whole system, changed all hoses, and rebuilt the cylinders...If someone has any Ideas for me, please let me know Thanks Steve

Tazza

Staff member
An air lock would make it spin easier as air has little resistance.
The only thing i can think of is you're aux hydraulics may be locked in, this will put a huge load on the engine at startup.
As you mentioned you disconnected the hydraulic pump and it was still turning slowly, i would check the starter and make sure you have a good earth. The cables must be nice and thick and as short as possible to reduce voltage drop. Make sure the battery is in top shape, it really does take a good batterry to start a diesel engine.
Good luck!!

skidsteer.ca

An air lock would make it spin easier as air has little resistance.
The only thing i can think of is you're aux hydraulics may be locked in, this will put a huge load on the engine at startup.
As you mentioned you disconnected the hydraulic pump and it was still turning slowly, i would check the starter and make sure you have a good earth. The cables must be nice and thick and as short as possible to reduce voltage drop. Make sure the battery is in top shape, it really does take a good batterry to start a diesel engine.
Good luck!!
If you turn the engine over by hand does it feel like it has a normal amount of resistance, there are no tight spots?
Ken