Bobcat m610 smoke from hydraulic reservoir cap

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mr T

Hello I'm brand new to posting on this site. But have found it very helpfull for fixing up an old bobcat m610 I recently acquired. Now I have a question that I haven't seen asked yet on the site. I just got my m610 running the other day and have been playing around with it a bit. It's running fairly well but the steering still seems a bit funny even after adjusting the clutches to 3-4" of movement. I'm not sure how smooth the steering is supposed to feel so it's hard to say if anything is wrong. However there is some smoke coming out of hydraulic reservoir caps. Just a a Little and I think maybe just when I turn. I assume its some part of the clutch ? Wanting to check on here to see if anyone's come across this. ? Perhaps I tightened Clutch adjustment nuts a little to much. ? I have recently changed hydraulic oil, repaired variable sheave drive, tuned up the vh4d Wisconsin. The skid steer I think is from the 70s and has been sitting for some years in the rain near the ocean,unused.all this considered I'm happy with its performance,it was pretty well free. And I'm willing to spend some money and time to get her running optimally. Any advice is much appreciated. Cheers

foton

well if is really smoke that would mean a lot of heat is being generated some where. The book calls for 10w/30 oil in the chain cases which is also your hydro reservoir . but I think something like universal tractor fluid could be used if you wanted to. might aught to look at a fluid sample after you run it awhile and see if it look s the same as when you put it in. I guess air(maybe a suction side leak) could be getting compressed and is then atomizing out of the oil, maybe that is what you are seeing. good luck on your new to you toy.

6brnorma

well if is really smoke that would mean a lot of heat is being generated some where. The book calls for 10w/30 oil in the chain cases which is also your hydro reservoir . but I think something like universal tractor fluid could be used if you wanted to. might aught to look at a fluid sample after you run it awhile and see if it look s the same as when you put it in. I guess air(maybe a suction side leak) could be getting compressed and is then atomizing out of the oil, maybe that is what you are seeing. good luck on your new to you toy.
Each of the four clutches (two on each side) and linings has oil flowing onto them through the hydraulic system. It sounds to me that one (or more) have no oil bathing the clutches so I would check that first by removing the cover and visually confirming that. It is not normal to have any smoke coming from the hydraulic breather caps.