Bobcat E42 Compact (mini) Excavator, M1706 error

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BradWorks

My father in law passed away suddenly last summer and I'm helping deal with the small farm property that he had. One machine that he had was a Bobcat E42 Compact (mini) Excavator (serial number B2VW12485). Last summer it was operating correctly (we tested it), and we didn't run it at all in the last 9 months, other than to turn it on for a few minutes every month or so to make sure the fluids didn't just sit there. (Not sure if this is necessary, but it seemed like a good idea.) Also, we kept it on a battery maintainer. Last week when I started it up it gave an error code M1706, which I've looked up as Hydraulic Lock Valve Short To Ground. It does start up fine, but nothing on it moves at all. Attached is a screenshot of the control panel, if that helps. I've searched around and tried to figure out what the code means. I found some suggestions that I should check/test the solenoid attached to the Hydraulic Control Valve (also referred to as the main control valve). (Although I'm also not sure if the "Hydraulic Lock Valve" from the error code is the same thing as the "Hydraulic Control Valve" from the guidance.) I followed the guidance and located what I believe are two solenoids attached to the bottom of the Hydraulic Control Valve (see photos). (Again I'm confused here since the guidance only talked about there being one solenoid.) The guidance said to test their resistance which should be 9.8 ohm. I pulled off the two solenoids and tested each with my multi meter. They both read about 7.2 ohm. I also checked if they were shorted by checking for continuity, and they both seemed OK. Is there a chance that both of these went bad at the exact same time, and that their resistance is now 7.2 instead of 9.8 ohm? Or am I looking at the wrong part?

Also, I removed the battery clamps from the terminals and cleaned everything completely, just to rule that out. I also examined all the wires that we could find and didn't see any indication of damage (rubbing, crimping, mice, etc.). And checked all the fuses.

Any guidance anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• bobcat e42 control panel.png
    bobcat e42 control panel.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 138
  • bobcat e42 main control valve solenoid 1.jpeg
    bobcat e42 main control valve solenoid 1.jpeg
    474.9 KB · Views: 104
  • bobcat e42 main control valve solenoid 2.jpeg
    bobcat e42 main control valve solenoid 2.jpeg
    560.1 KB · Views: 136
  • bobcat e42 main control valve solenoid 3.jpeg
    bobcat e42 main control valve solenoid 3.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 119

Decathlondave

Brad, I also have the same code m1706, I know you wrote this in 2022 but what did you figure out. My code is on a 2012 bobcat T650 skid steer. Hope you can help Dave G.

Last edited:

Latest posts