bobcat 873 grinding noise

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

deutscho1

I just bought a 2004 873 at auction and when you first start it up theres a grinding noises and sometimes the motor stalls out. It seems like a drive pump is binding up and stalls it out. Any answer would be greatful.

Fishfiles

It is pretty hard to troubleshoot a grinding noise with out being there , couple of things I would do from what you are saying would be to remove the drive belt and start the motor with out the pump turning , that would eliminate the pump , you could remove the hydraulic filter and case drain filter and check for signs of failure , cut the filter open with a sawsall or grinder if metal doesn't just pour out of it with the oil

Tazza

Staff member
It is pretty hard to troubleshoot a grinding noise with out being there , couple of things I would do from what you are saying would be to remove the drive belt and start the motor with out the pump turning , that would eliminate the pump , you could remove the hydraulic filter and case drain filter and check for signs of failure , cut the filter open with a sawsall or grinder if metal doesn't just pour out of it with the oil
I'm wondering if the park brake is on and the steering is out of neutral. Its trying to move but can't, it causes a grinding sound and will stall the engine too.
Drop the deat bar, turn the park brake off before starting, you should hear a click under your seat, start the engine and see if it makes the noise.

calialx1

when you start it does it feel like it wants to jump or move in any direction? If it does this might be your problem. It should sit perfectly still. Does the noise go away if you start moving it? does this thing have foot controls for the bucket and arms but lever for moving around? If so I might be able to help you.