Bobcat 873 F series recomendation

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

2slow05

So i was pretty much given a bobcat 873 F series with the deutz motor in it. About 7-8 years ago it ran good but it got the notorious oil leak in the tank from a bad motor mouint and the machine was ran low or empty on oil. I am sure they tried to add oil to it and maybe try to restart the machine but it didnt so it got moved to the back pasture and was parked outside and has been sitting since. My question is where should i start with it or is it even worth the money it may take to get it going right? I have seen complete major overhaul engine rebuild kits in the $1500 price range. I would think that kit should get the motor running but since it has been sitting so long do you think it will have other major issues? Just looking for some advice thanks

Tazza

Staff member
You will need to pull the motor down to see what the damage is. It depends on how long it was run out of oil and run for, it could have no damage, but it could also have spun bearings and scored bores. You need to put eyes on the innards of the motor.
I don't know if they run liners or not, if they did, it owuld be an easy rebuild, if not, it will need machine work, still, if the machine is cheap/free it's worth it, even if you parted it out.

flyerdan

You will need to pull the motor down to see what the damage is. It depends on how long it was run out of oil and run for, it could have no damage, but it could also have spun bearings and scored bores. You need to put eyes on the innards of the motor.
I don't know if they run liners or not, if they did, it owuld be an easy rebuild, if not, it will need machine work, still, if the machine is cheap/free it's worth it, even if you parted it out.
According to the internet, they do have liners, which are included in this BF4M1011 overhaul kit I found. If the crank and cam spec out you should have a running mill for well under $1500.
The condition of the rest of the machine must be considered as well, if it has good tires and all the pins are tight and nothing is rusted together it will probably make a good machine for very little cash, albeit a fair bit of wrenching.

rodbuilder

I'm a former engine builder. Built the Class 8 winner for the 1985 Baja 500 spring race!! Assuming you got this oil-cooled turd for free, if I were you, BE SURE IT HAS OIL IN IT, then the FIRST thing I'd do is pull out the injectors and turn it over with a good battery in it, for a few minutes - say 30-45 seconds at a time? Kind of like your REALLY trying to start thing thing!! use a remote starter switch on the starter, so you can be right there at the engine, when you do this. Now, hold a finger over the injector holes one at a time and turn it over a second or 2 for each cylinder and see if there's any oil on your finger, or if it's just clear diesel? If you have oil on your finger that cylinder has a head gasket problem, which means you will also have to have the head surfaced and you will need new head bolts too!!! DON'T TAKE THE DIESEL HEAD TO AN AUTOMOTIVE MACHINE SHOP!! Any diesel engine machine shop will know that you don't take much off of the head, or you will drastically increase the compression ratio - which is already about 18.5-1!!!! If the had gasket was your only problem, when you pretty it up with new paint, decals, seat and tires you should be able to get $12,000 for it. Anything more than that and you're just hoping that some moron will be stupid enough to buy it !!!!!!!! He can buy an853 with the bulletproof 58 hp Isuzu in it for about $8500!!!! For that matter he could also buy an LX865 or LX885 New Holland and run over BOTH of those Bobcats!!!!