Bobcat 853 noise when turning

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mitch500

I have a buzzing or zzzzz sound coming from the right side of my machine. It sounds like it right by my right foot. I took the front chain case cover to have a look. All I could tell was the right side chain had alot of slop in it. The left side was pretty good it seemed more firm if that make sense.

I had this noise prior to rebuilding my right side drive motor and it made no change.

Anyone know what I should look for? Maybe I should take the center chain case cover off and inspect the sprockets there.

It makes the noise less when going straight. Makes most noise when stopped and I turn with the right stick only like In the video.

I've attached some videos.

Last edited:

wateka

The slack in the right chain may be from elongation. See the attached description from Diamond about their wear gauge. Tsubaki makes a kit of metal gauges for multiple sizes, but may be overkill for just size 100 chain in the 853.

As for the noise, I would start by putting the 853 on 4 jack stands and see if you can replicate the noise that way. Since you have the chain case open, so much the better for pinpointing the noise location.

Attachments

• Diamond-Chain-Wear-Elongation-Tool-Instructions.pdf
    378.1 KB · Views: 23
  • TsubakiChainWearIndicatorKit.pdf
    196.6 KB · Views: 22

brdgbldr

The chains are not adjustable. Once they stretch out they have to be replaced.
The sound that you are hearing is most likely the chain slipping on a sprocket. Could be the axel or gear case sprocket.
If you put your bucket up against something immovable, and try to drive forward, the tires should all spin (if the machine isn't too worn out). If the chain slips the tire will not spin.

OP
OP
Mitch500

Mitch500

The slack in the right chain may be from elongation. See the attached description from Diamond about their wear gauge. Tsubaki makes a kit of metal gauges for multiple sizes, but may be overkill for just size 100 chain in the 853.

As for the noise, I would start by putting the 853 on 4 jack stands and see if you can replicate the noise that way. Since you have the chain case open, so much the better for pinpointing the noise location.
I will definitely get it up on stands and check it out.
The chains are not adjustable. Once they stretch out they have to be replaced.
The sound that you are hearing is most likely the chain slipping on a sprocket. Could be the axel or gear case sprocket.
If you put your bucket up against something immovable, and try to drive forward, the tires should all spin (if the machine isn't too worn out). If the chain slips the tire will not spin.
That makes sense I'll give that a try and see if the spin. But don't you think if the chain was slipping a sprocket the chain would show wear? Like scratches or filed down a bit. I'll pull the center cover and check the drive gear.

brdgbldr

I will definitely get it up on stands and check it out.

That makes sense I'll give that a try and see if the spin. But don't you think if the chain was slipping a sprocket the chain would show wear? Like scratches or filed down a bit. I'll pull the center cover and check the drive gear.
The chains and sprockets are hardened steel. They will wear down but slowly. The biggest concern would be snapping a tooth off of a sprocket.

Old_853

Could be the gear reduction bearings. You'll know when you get the center cover off. The primary sprocket the front and rear chains are attached to should have no slop in it. If you can grab it and wobble it, the bearings are gone. I ordered all of them from allskidsteers.com. It is not an easy job, I've spent every Saturday for the past two months on it and still not "done" yet, but I'm fixing other things along the way. Wheel bearings, seals, rebuilt drive motors, new chains, etc. Speaking of chains, you can make TWO rear drive chains from one 10 foot section. That means you only need to order three 10 foot lengths of chains, and an extra master link.

OP
OP
Mitch500

Mitch500

I got the middle chain cover off today. Everything looked fine and didn't find any play in the gears or bearings. But the right side front chain has quite a bit of slack and it's touching the lower mounting bolt for the reduction box.

Guess I found my problem! I'm going to start looking Into chains.

I've read its size 100 chain. Is there a specific hardness like 100hs or HD. Or can standard chain be used

Thanks all for the suggestions!