Bobcat 853 No fuel reaching priming bulb

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

neonewman

I have a bobcat 853 and it started fine a couple weeks ago. Now I ran for a minute or so and it died. I thought it might be out of fuel but the tank is full. Then I thought some water got in the fuel filter so I drained from the bottom. I tried to prime the fuel back to get all the air out of the system but now no fuel is coming to the bulb.

Any ideas on what to check? I thought the fuel line to the bulb comes directly from the bottom of the fuel tank.

brdgbldr

The plastic fuel pickup tube has a habit of getting brittle and breaking off inside the tank.
Here is a video that may help:

OP
OP
N

neonewman

I am wondering if I can relocate the pickup grommet and tube. I have Popeye forearms and cannot even touch the tube area way too tight with a tangle of hydraulic lines . Has anyone else had this problem I don't see a way to get this removed and replaced without removing the motor which I have no way to do.

Gervs

I agree with @brdgbldr. I just had this same issue with my 440B. The pickup hose had got brittle and was sucking air at the top of tank. Replaced hose and all is good. As far as the pickup grommet and tube being relocated unsure but keep in mind that if you move it to one side of tank it might cause fuel starvation if you are at an angle with the machine.

OP
OP
N

neonewman

I agree with @brdgbldr. I just had this same issue with my 440B. The pickup hose had got brittle and was sucking air at the top of tank. Replaced hose and all is good. As far as the pickup grommet and tube being relocated unsure but keep in mind that if you move it to one side of tank it might cause fuel starvation if you are at an angle with the machine.
Thank you I have watched the above video and two others. The above video shows how to install with the fuel tank out of the machine, another show the guy removing the hydraulic lines and the others says he did it with a modified pry-bar but did not show the hard parts.

thwerench

When the pickup tube on my little 440B broke I was in a hurry. Just extended the rubber fuel line with a new portion into the tank. Retrieved and used the screen pickup from the old tube and wired a heavy nut to it to keep it at the bottom of the tank. That was 8 years ago and that setup is still working great

Jim A

My S175 had fuel line pinched under oil pan and top of fuel tank
check entire line.