Bobcat 843 Right Front Wheel Slipping

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mike_s_82

My 843 has the front right wheel slipping. I noticed it when I was backing up a hill last summer, it would start to slip and chatter some. The rear wheel was still engaged. The same wheel was also leaking at the axle seal, so I pulled it out last night expecting the splines on the axle shaft to be bad, and they looked great, no issues tight and clean. Last winter, I rebuilt both gear cases, all new chains, chain guides, rebuilt that side pump, Like I said, the rear would spin, but the front would not. It only happens under load, but then one it starts, it seems to easier to do. The bearings seemed good and no play. I did not check the chain tightness before I pulled the axle out. Before I replaced the chains, they were almost hitting the bottom of the case. I put 2 new chain guides on as well. Is it possible the chain is slipping? The chain would have to be really loose for that to happen. I looked at the rear sprocket the best I could with a camera, and it looks fine. I don't see any missing teeth or cracks or wear for the area I can see. I want to try to drain the oil and put the axle back in with the old bearings to see how much slop is in the chain. Is there something I am missing here? Anything else I should be looking for? One piece axle, sprocket welds look good.

OP
OP
M

mike_s_82

Put the axle back in and chain is tight. I jacked up the rear, and when I rotate the tires, I hear and feel a rough gear meshing. I opened up the cover on the gear box and the big gear looks good. I pulled off the cap for the shaft, and the bolt feels tight and bearing looks good from what I can tell without removing it. I think I need to pull the motor to see if that is causing it. I was wondering of the motor drive shaft could be bad, or maybe the motor itself. I think this is just odd, because I swear the front wheel was not spinning and the rear was. Maybe I am going crazy. The other option is the rear drive shaft spline to sprocket is bad I can't get back there without pulling the pumps. Unfortunately, will gone for a week or so, so I won't be back to it for awhile.

Tazza

Staff member
Put the axle back in and chain is tight. I jacked up the rear, and when I rotate the tires, I hear and feel a rough gear meshing. I opened up the cover on the gear box and the big gear looks good. I pulled off the cap for the shaft, and the bolt feels tight and bearing looks good from what I can tell without removing it. I think I need to pull the motor to see if that is causing it. I was wondering of the motor drive shaft could be bad, or maybe the motor itself. I think this is just odd, because I swear the front wheel was not spinning and the rear was. Maybe I am going crazy. The other option is the rear drive shaft spline to sprocket is bad I can't get back there without pulling the pumps. Unfortunately, will gone for a week or so, so I won't be back to it for awhile.
That is very odd, i wouldn't think the issue is the gear box or motor, as one wheel is fine, it's only one of them. The taper/key is still good on the axle hub (if 2 piece)?
For it to slip a lot, the chain would have to be very loose and the sprocket would look mangled.
The sprocket from the reduction box looks good still? I thought it was a wouble sprocket here, one chain goes forward, the other goes backward.

OP
OP
M

mike_s_82

That is very odd, i wouldn't think the issue is the gear box or motor, as one wheel is fine, it's only one of them. The taper/key is still good on the axle hub (if 2 piece)?
For it to slip a lot, the chain would have to be very loose and the sprocket would look mangled.
The sprocket from the reduction box looks good still? I thought it was a wouble sprocket here, one chain goes forward, the other goes backward.
Both sprockets look great. I can't see tell full 360 of the rear sprocket but the front looks good. Good teeth. It is a double sprocket that drives the front and rear. It is solid so I don't see anybway one chain could be slipping. I am leaning towards the motor or motor drive shaft. If I recall the motor shaft has a spline on both ends. This is the side that I rebuilt the pump on so it makes that maybe the motor went out. But the chopping sound and the one wheel seemed liked it wasn't moving doesn't seem to match. Once I remove the motor I will know for sure I guess if the rough gear mesh feeling is still there. Just sucks having to pull the pumps. If I pull the pumps I guess I am doing both rear seals and bearings so I don't have to go thru this again.

Tazza

Staff member
Both sprockets look great. I can't see tell full 360 of the rear sprocket but the front looks good. Good teeth. It is a double sprocket that drives the front and rear. It is solid so I don't see anybway one chain could be slipping. I am leaning towards the motor or motor drive shaft. If I recall the motor shaft has a spline on both ends. This is the side that I rebuilt the pump on so it makes that maybe the motor went out. But the chopping sound and the one wheel seemed liked it wasn't moving doesn't seem to match. Once I remove the motor I will know for sure I guess if the rough gear mesh feeling is still there. Just sucks having to pull the pumps. If I pull the pumps I guess I am doing both rear seals and bearings so I don't have to go thru this again.
Hopefully when you can get a good look at it, you will have an answer. I have heard in the past of one person having the weld fail on a sprocket, the splined part that attaches to the axle broke away from the sprocket, there is a chance this could be the issue, yet remote.
It's a pain that you need to pull the pumps to gain access, but sadly you have no choice....

7LBSSMALLIE

Hopefully when you can get a good look at it, you will have an answer. I have heard in the past of one person having the weld fail on a sprocket, the splined part that attaches to the axle broke away from the sprocket, there is a chance this could be the issue, yet remote.
It's a pain that you need to pull the pumps to gain access, but sadly you have no choice....
if chain and sorockets look good.? suspect the dog bone. the 5inch splined shaft protudeing from motor. inspect both mal and female on both ends

farmshop

We had this happen on a 763 sheared the hub off the sprocket. We were able to weld it together in the case

OP
OP
M

mike_s_82

We had this happen on a 763 sheared the hub off the sprocket. We were able to weld it together in the case
That is interesting. I pulled the front sprocket and didn't notice any issues with it. I will inspect better, but I assume that would be pretty obvious.

OP
OP
M

mike_s_82

That is interesting. I pulled the front sprocket and didn't notice any issues with it. I will inspect better, but I assume that would be pretty obvious.
Pulled the motor, and tore it down. Everything looks good, but now I need a seal kit. The shaft look good, nothing slipping. Once the motor was off, the rear wheel turned smooth, but the front sprocket was still off. Since the motor was off, there was no load on it, so not sure if that really tells me anything. I put a bore scope in there, and it all looks good. The rear sprocket looks good from what I can tell. The rear bearings seem tight and no play. The one thing I noticed, is at the outer bearing and seal area, there is a ring line around the hub at the shaft. It looks blued a bit, and a definite line going all the way around. I do not know if the shaft is pressed into the hub or a 1 piece. I can't believe it would be slipping there. It is not loose or separated. I still say the front was slipping and the rear was driving. The only way that could happen is if the axle shaft was slipping, the sprocket, or the drive sprocket coming out of the gear box is slipping, but that is a solid shaft, so I don't know how the rear could drive and the front could slip. I did buy a new axle shaft and sprocket (used), so I think at this point my plan is to put the new shaft in and put the motor back on, and see what it does. I was really expecting something obviously wrong with it as much as it was slipping.

OP
OP
M

mike_s_82

Pulled the motor, and tore it down. Everything looks good, but now I need a seal kit. The shaft look good, nothing slipping. Once the motor was off, the rear wheel turned smooth, but the front sprocket was still off. Since the motor was off, there was no load on it, so not sure if that really tells me anything. I put a bore scope in there, and it all looks good. The rear sprocket looks good from what I can tell. The rear bearings seem tight and no play. The one thing I noticed, is at the outer bearing and seal area, there is a ring line around the hub at the shaft. It looks blued a bit, and a definite line going all the way around. I do not know if the shaft is pressed into the hub or a 1 piece. I can't believe it would be slipping there. It is not loose or separated. I still say the front was slipping and the rear was driving. The only way that could happen is if the axle shaft was slipping, the sprocket, or the drive sprocket coming out of the gear box is slipping, but that is a solid shaft, so I don't know how the rear could drive and the front could slip. I did buy a new axle shaft and sprocket (used), so I think at this point my plan is to put the new shaft in and put the motor back on, and see what it does. I was really expecting something obviously wrong with it as much as it was slipping.
Well, I don't know if this is good news or bad news, but I pulled the left axle out today to do the seal and bearings, and there was a good amount of dirt in the outer bearing. The seal wasn't leaking, but obviously bad. So I guess this means I am pulling the pumps to do the rear seals and bearings. Sucks, but needs to be done. I guess at that point I can inspect everything.

Tazza

Staff member
Well, I don't know if this is good news or bad news, but I pulled the left axle out today to do the seal and bearings, and there was a good amount of dirt in the outer bearing. The seal wasn't leaking, but obviously bad. So I guess this means I am pulling the pumps to do the rear seals and bearings. Sucks, but needs to be done. I guess at that point I can inspect everything.
I guess it's best to get it done now than when the bearings eat the housing out.... There was someone that posted a machine that was so bad, that an axle tube needed cutting off and replacing. The bearing was eaten up, which took out the tube and hub.......

OP
OP
M

mike_s_82

I guess it's best to get it done now than when the bearings eat the housing out.... There was someone that posted a machine that was so bad, that an axle tube needed cutting off and replacing. The bearing was eaten up, which took out the tube and hub.......
Well, I pulled the right rear axle and it looks good. I pulled the right gear box, opened it up and removed the large gear. All looks good. Bearings tight. I did not pull the small gear, but I could see inside there enough to see it is good. Put it back together and the gear mesh seems good. The rear sprocket and chain is good. The rear bearings are ok, but there was some dirt in the outer bearing and it was starting to score. I can not find anything wrong. The double drive sprocket looks good, no signs of any damage. One piece shaft, so if something was slipping, it would be pretty obvious I'm sure. I ordered a motor seal kit, but it has the wrong O-rings, so it won't work. Need to get one from Bobcat I guess. I ordered it from Loader Source, since I was not in town to pick anything up from the Bobcat dealer. The only other thing I can speculate is that it is the motor. The only other thing I can think of is the tire was slipping on the rim, but it was not that flat that I would suspect that. This is crazy, I was really expecting something to jump out at me. I really don't want to put this back together and still have an issue. I still need to pull the left rear axle, then put it all back together. Hoping I can get it all back together, maybe minus the motor this week.

farmshop

Well, I pulled the right rear axle and it looks good. I pulled the right gear box, opened it up and removed the large gear. All looks good. Bearings tight. I did not pull the small gear, but I could see inside there enough to see it is good. Put it back together and the gear mesh seems good. The rear sprocket and chain is good. The rear bearings are ok, but there was some dirt in the outer bearing and it was starting to score. I can not find anything wrong. The double drive sprocket looks good, no signs of any damage. One piece shaft, so if something was slipping, it would be pretty obvious I'm sure. I ordered a motor seal kit, but it has the wrong O-rings, so it won't work. Need to get one from Bobcat I guess. I ordered it from Loader Source, since I was not in town to pick anything up from the Bobcat dealer. The only other thing I can speculate is that it is the motor. The only other thing I can think of is the tire was slipping on the rim, but it was not that flat that I would suspect that. This is crazy, I was really expecting something to jump out at me. I really don't want to put this back together and still have an issue. I still need to pull the left rear axle, then put it all back together. Hoping I can get it all back together, maybe minus the motor this week.
Is the hub tight to the axle shaft

OP
OP
M

mike_s_82

Is the hub tight to the axle shaft
Yeah, the hub to axle is tight. The splines look great, and the sprocket slips on tight. Waiting on a couple parts that should be in tomorrow, and it's going back together. Pressed in all the axle bearing races today, and put the new seals, wear rings and bearings on the 4 shafts ready to go.

OP
OP
M

mike_s_82

Yeah, the hub to axle is tight. The splines look great, and the sprocket slips on tight. Waiting on a couple parts that should be in tomorrow, and it's going back together. Pressed in all the axle bearing races today, and put the new seals, wear rings and bearings on the 4 shafts ready to go.
Well, I have it back together. Rebuilt the motor on the bad side. Weather crappy here, so didn't do much but drive it around the driveway to check it out. It worked good enough to mount the tree spade I picked up last fall and bring it inside. New hoses and some maintenance. At least it's all back together. I need to adjust the neutral on the controls, but easier to do outside when the weather is better.