Bobcat 843 gear reduction unit oil

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

wrenchmeister

Does anyone know how the oil gets from the chaincase to the gearbox?
I just finished cleaning out the chaincase, which had quite a bit of water in it due to poor sealing and missing bolts of the cover.
I decided to remove the gearbox covers to clean them out also, but there was barely anything inside. It looks like it would only flow past at the level of the small chain gear
In that case, I would have expected at least a quart of oil to come out.
Perhaps there is a crossover port close to the bottom that I couldn't see? And while draining the chaincase, the gearboxes drain back to the chaincase?

Any thoughts?
I want to make sure they get filled back with oil, but unsure how to do it. I had thought about adding fill ports to the covers at the same level of the chaincase fill plug, but that seems unnecessary if it flows freely at a lower level.
<script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"><script>

OP
OP
W

wrenchmeister

o1M3mPZ.jpg

OP
OP
W

wrenchmeister

To answer my own question, it looks like there is a port at the bottom of the gear reduction unit. The gearcase oil wasn't mentioned in the manual, so I wanted to make sure.
$_1.JPG

Tazza

Staff member
To answer my own question, it looks like there is a port at the bottom of the gear reduction unit. The gearcase oil wasn't mentioned in the manual, so I wanted to make sure.
The bearings have no seals, so the oil just passes through the bearing cones and into the reduction box. The seal on the output shaft to the drive motor dog bone is that holds the drive motor back from the chain case.

Latest posts