Bobcat 825 - Starting issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

New825Guy

Late September I started having issues with the fuel system. I had the fuel filters cleaned and replaced. Then found some leaks in the fuel lines that I fixed. Then I rebuilt the fuel filter holder. The machine will start with a little boost of either and run all day but will not start the next day. I have double checked for leaks in the fuel supply but cannot find any. I do get smoke when I try to start, It just does not catch. Any thing I might try next? I am looking for suggestions.

walio123

If the engine is difficult to start in cold weather , you should check fuel injectors , fuel pump and fuel priming pump and compression. Also you need to check preheat unit but never do preheat when use either! To check compression you wil need compression tester - the compression must be between 300 and 500 PSI with no more than 50 PSI difference between the cylinders. You can understand the reason for the low compression as add a LITTLE oil in the cylinder , turn engine several revolutions, and check it again.Compression grow significantly if the reason is in piston ,piston rings and cylinder liners.If the compression does not grow significant reason is in the valves. Remove injectors ,check compression and bring injectors to the diesel shop to check it. Be careful with copper sealing washers in the injector bore - they are specially made for the job . They must seal against high pressures and be of correct thickness for best engine performance.Do not use washers of different type.

walio123

If the starter rotates engine rapidly for 20- 30 seconds and may repeat this operation 5-6 times without reducing - the speed- battery is OK. Check priming pump. When the engine is cold, it is important that the pressure before the fuel pump to be normal.

OP
OP
N

New825Guy

If the starter rotates engine rapidly for 20- 30 seconds and may repeat this operation 5-6 times without reducing - the speed- battery is OK. Check priming pump. When the engine is cold, it is important that the pressure before the fuel pump to be normal.
Thanks for all the input. Hope to take advantage of the good weather and get this fixed.