Bobcat 773 leaking oil around axles

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bvinson9

Good Evening,

I drained and changed my chain case oil today on my 773 and now I have oil leaking around all four axles. Any opinions on what is causing this? I was thinking maybe oil seals? I bought this machine used and it is a 1997 model.

Thanks

brdgbldr

Good Evening,

I drained and changed my chain case oil today on my 773 and now I have oil leaking around all four axles. Any opinions on what is causing this? I was thinking maybe oil seals? I bought this machine used and it is a 1997 model.

Thanks
Probably the axle seals.

If the machine is perfectly level and the chain case fluid is a little low the fluid will not reach the seals and leak. But once you put in the proper amount of oil, it will reach the seals as it should and if they are bad they leak.

Chances are that one of the seals was leaking, which brought down the fluid level, and the other seals dried out and also began leaking.

The bad news is that, depending on how long they have been leaking, the machine may have been being run with dry axle bearings.

OP
OP
B

bvinson9

Probably the axle seals.

If the machine is perfectly level and the chain case fluid is a little low the fluid will not reach the seals and leak. But once you put in the proper amount of oil, it will reach the seals as it should and if they are bad they leak.

Chances are that one of the seals was leaking, which brought down the fluid level, and the other seals dried out and also began leaking.

The bad news is that, depending on how long they have been leaking, the machine may have been being run with dry axle bearings.
Thanks… So should i go ahead and change the bearings as well?

brdgbldr

Thanks… So should i go ahead and change the bearings as well?
I would definitely be prepared to replace the bearings.

You should inspect them.

Jack up the machine and see If the axles have any play. They should not.

That machine has 2 piece axles so the axle does not need to be removed to replace the seal. The axle does need to be remove to replace the bearings and is a much bigger job.

OP
OP
B

bvinson9

I would definitely be prepared to replace the bearings.

You should inspect them.

Jack up the machine and see If the axles have any play. They should not.

That machine has 2 piece axles so the axle does not need to be removed to replace the seal. The axle does need to be remove to replace the bearings and is a much bigger job.
Thanks. Im trying to remove the main 1 1/2 " nut that holds the hub on. Are these reverse threads? It doesn't wanna budge.

brdgbldr

Thanks. Im trying to remove the main 1 1/2 " nut that holds the hub on. Are these reverse threads? It doesn't wanna budge.
They are not reverse threads. They probably have never been removed since the factory Installed them.

Here is a little video, different machine but same principle: